We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with vegas to moab itinerary - a real rush!

Which Moab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
reviews: 16
Help with vegas to moab itinerary - a real rush!

Hi everyone, I'm really excited about our roadtrip around the south west and would like to get everyone's opinion on my itinerary.

I've was initially supposed to leave vegas on a tuesday, rent a car and then drop our car off at salt lake city airport for a 1139pm flight to NYC on a Friday which would've given me more time to visit more places. I found out last night that it would cost me close to $550 to rent the car from vegas and to drop it in SLC. Either that or rent from Fox car rentals which is really cheap but the review on yelp has turned me off which means we have to rent from vegas and return the car in vegas as well.

These are the places we wanted to visit in those 4 full days, my initial itinerary:

1: Vegas to Zion. Stay a night in Springdale.

2: Zion, Bryce and Capitol Reef. Stay a night in Torrey.

3: Arches. Stay a night in Moab.

4: Canyonlands. Leave Moab and travel to SLC.

My updated one seeing I have to travel all the way back to Vegas

1: Vegas to Zion. Stay a night in Springdale.

2: Bryce & Zion and all the way to Moab.

3: Canyonlands & Arches. Stay a night in Moab.

4: Leave Moab and drive all the way back to Vegas for 11pm flight.

My question is, despite the rush the above should be achievable? I really don't want to cancel this altogether. What extra stops on the way do you think we could squeeze in?

More about us: We're not really crazy about the outdoors or hiking for that matter but I wanted to do something different this time instead because I am floored by how amazing the scenery is - I absolutely loved the grand canyon. I would say I prefer easy hikes and would not necessarily feel like i've missed out a lot if I don't get to do all the hikes or trails. From my research, I really want to visit canyonlands (Island in the Sky) and Bryce, in fact I'm more interested in going to Moab than Zion.

If the responses are mostly negative in regards to the itinerary, I might swap moab with lake powell instead. This would be better?

Sorry this was a bit long. Thanks in advance.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 7
1. Re: Help with vegas to moab itinerary - a real rush!

Zion, Bryce and Page makes much more sense given the short time you have. Those places are all within 2- 3 hours of each other.Page and Bryce are about 4.5 -5 hours from Vegas. Vegas to Moab is around 7, going the fast way.

At Page you can do Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, tour the lake or do a raft trip.

www.raftthecanyon.com

If the trip is before Oct 15, the north rim of the Grand Canyon is another option along with Zion, Bryce, and Page.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 194
2. Re: Help with vegas to moab itinerary - a real rush!

You won't get anything out of extending your short time into Moab, only compromising what great scenery you could see. Stick in the Zion/Bryce/Page area. It will be a far better experience and you have sufficient time to do that.

Have fun.

Gerogery West...
Destination Expert
for Moab
reviews: 61
3. Re: Help with vegas to moab itinerary - a real rush!

You'd be a boofhead to squeeze Moab into that timeframe.

Sydney
4. Re: Help with vegas to moab itinerary - a real rush!

Thanks everyone, I needed someone to talk some sense into me :) I started to look at antelope canyon and horseshoe bend - WOW.

How does one fit monument valley into all of this or should I post in a different forum? On the map it does look quite far east.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 7
5. Re: Help with vegas to moab itinerary - a real rush!

MV is another couple hours past Page. Again it would pretty close to 7 hours from Vegas.

Sticking with Zion, Bryce and Page, you will have more than enough to see to fill 4 days.

Sydney
6. Re: Help with vegas to moab itinerary - a real rush!

Got it. Thanks dez

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
reviews: 318
7. Re: Help with vegas to moab itinerary - a real rush!

Excellent advice provide so far. So glad that they talked you in from the ledge. Moab is a wonderful place, but you just to not ahve the time. Shoot, with just 4 days, I question if you have time for Page. But, since you are not planning on any major hiking you can probably make Zion - Bryce Canyon - Page work and see the highlights in terms of scenery.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
reviews: 318
8. Re: Help with vegas to moab itinerary - a real rush!

I meant to include this in the last post and now I fugure the edit time will expire before I can add it...duh...

Here's a link that might be useful for the driving route and timing:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28965-i411-k43258…

The link will take you to the Top Questions in the Utah forum, specifically the item "How can I see all the parks in southern Utah? and the article called the "small loop from Las Vegas." There is a link to a map that has driving times and distances. Grante this route also includes the south rim of the Grand Canyon, but at least you'll see the drive times/between Zion, BC and Page.

Sydney
9. Re: Help with vegas to moab itinerary - a real rush!

Thanks OhioChick, just what I needed!

I've just put together a more detailed itinerary and looks like even going to Page is pushing it, although doable.

Just to share and get everyone's input:

*Day 1

1130 1200 Check Out

1200 1330 Lunch

1330 1430 Rent Car

1430 1730 Vegas to Springdale / St George

1730 1830 Check in and freshen up

1830 Dinner

*Day 2

800 900 Wake up and packup

900 1000 Breakfast

1000 1300 Zion National Park. Do I even have time to do a simple hike or just enough time to take the shuttle back and forth and photos in between?

1300 1430 Lunch

1430 1730 Drive to Bryce Canyon. Take US 89 to UT 12 (scenic). Canyon Overlook trail, Checkerboard Mesa. Red Canyon.

1730 1830 Check in and freshen up

1830 Dinner

*Day 3

900 1000 Breakfast

1000 1300 Explore Bryce Canyon

1300 1400 Lunch

1400 1730 Drive to Page

1730 1900 Grand Escalante & Wahweap overlook

1900 2000 Check in and freshen up

2000 Dinner

*Day 4

900 1000 Breakfast

1000 1200 Antelope Canyon - Upper

1200 1300 Lunch

1300 1400 Horseshoe Bend

1400 1930 Drive to Vegas

1930 Return Car & Dinner

2145 Check in

2341 Depart LAS

Edited: 1:31 pm, June 11, 2013
Sydney
10. Re: Help with vegas to moab itinerary - a real rush!

Looks like I spend most of my time travelling from one place to another!