We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going it solo

Which Moab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Going it solo

I'm planning on spending the month if March 2014 in Moab. I will be alone and want to do some hiking any advice ?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 195
1. Re: Going it solo

Well, a month gives you a lot of time in the area. Rather than going through specific hikes, here's some suggestions locally and nearby region. Close-in parks include Arches and Canyonlands Islands in the Sky. Also look at trails along the Colorado River including Negro Bill Canyon and Fisher Towers.

Canyonlands Needles is about a 60-90 minute drive, depending trailheads, but provides some of the more interesting and extensive hiking in the immediate area.

With the time you have, definitely expand your horizons a bit. Cedar Mesa a ways south of Moab towards the Arizona border is an amazing treasure trove of hikes to ancient ruins along with nearby Natural Bridges. You would do well to spend a few days down there rather than commuting. It will be well worth it.

Again, give your expansive time, look to the west and the San Rafael Swell west of Green River. Many slot canyons like Little Wild Horse Canyon and neighboring Bell, Crack, Chute, etc.

Have fun.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
reviews: 81
2. Re: Going it solo

Definitely do not confine yourself to the NP's, and look to outside of the parks around Moab, including as examples Corona Arch and Moab Rim.

When in Moab, look for the information center on the highway through town. You will be able to pick up helpful suggestions once you have exhausted the well known trails>> http://www.discovermoab.com/visitorcenter.htm

You maybe want to consider a jeep rental or tour, as well as a river ride on the Colorado or Green river while there, just to break up the hiking.

Look to pick up a series of area maps to detail the locations of several of the popular routes. Trails Illustrated Moab map pack(North and South) is a good start.

Besides this, pretty much every hike is detailed online. You can start out with alltrails, Moab area

Look at the BLM websites for Moab and Monticello to help you detail some of the opportunities in the area as well>> blm.gov/ut/…hiking_trails.html and blm.gov/ut/…Hiking.html

3. Re: Going it solo

Thank you for all of your suggestions I will look into other activities besides hiking. Definitely want to explore as much as I can while in the area and do as many different adventures as I can squeeze in. I will be doing most things on my own and just wanted to be sure that the trails are all marked well. I am mot against hiring a guide for some things but I figured that much of the hiking I can do on my own. Any suggestions on hiking guides ? I will also break things up into some driving adventures. Thank you for any suggestions

NJ
reviews: 17
4. Re: Going it solo

been out that way several times on my own my favorite hiking has been canyonlands. Needles district Confluence trail- green and the colorado...

found this on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qH8avA1InQ

rent a mountain bike and do some slick rock riding (only slick when its wet so don't do it then!)

moab has a brew pub (or did the last time i was there) a winery...

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 33
5. Re: Going it solo

I would look up the local Sierra Club, they have plenty of organized hikes so you wouldn't have to do all your trip solo. http://utah.sierraclub.org/activities.asp

Santa Ana, CA
reviews: 12
6. Re: Going it solo

There is a very nice visitor center in Moab. You'll want to visit them from time to time while you're out there. They have lots of answers for lots of questions; lots of advice, too.

Here is their website:

www.discovermoab.com

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
reviews: 156
7. Re: Going it solo

I live in an area where hiking alone can get you into some real tough situations, just like around Moab. Here are a few rules that are constantly voiced over the newscasts by the search and rescue squad after they have had to go on extended searches for someone (or some body). 1.) Never hike alone without telling someone where you are going and when to expect you to return. The desert is so vast and harsh that if the rescuers have no idea as to where you went and how long you've been out there you may perish. 2.) Don't count on a cell phone. The canyons and mountains block signals. If you are on a heavily traveled trail and get hurt there may be someone coming along who can get help. On a less traveled trail you could be out there awhile. 3.) Never go far from the trail if you are alone. What may look like a shortcut may be a wrong choice. And on slick rock trails, the markers are cairns. (Piles of rocks - easy to miss if you get distracted.) 4.) Take plenty of water. You can live a while without food but in the desert not too long without water. Dehydration makes you make poor choices and causes your body to do bad things.

Hope you find some great hiking buddies or some good hiking trails that work well for you.

8. Re: Going it solo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 17, 2014