We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with trip planning

Which Moab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
florida
reviews: 3
help with trip planning

planning a trip driving from Breckenridge, Co., in early to mid September, out to Moab area to see Arches, Canyonlands and any other great areas. Have a week. We like to hike-easy to moderate, ATV, fun things. would appreciate any and all info. Places to stay-not really into camping. Love itinerary suggestions. thanks

Edited: 5:58 pm, June 04, 2013
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 202
1. Re: help with trip planning

Nice drive over to Moab from Breck. Look at Glenwood Springs or Fruita as nice lunch stops depending on your departure time. Take the Danish Flat exit off I-70, visit the ghost town of Cisco and drive into Moab along the Colorado River.

We like to stay downtown so you can walk to everything at night. River Canyon Lodge very cheap and clean, Gonzo Inn more elegant. Miguel's or Peace Tree favorite restaurants on Main Street. Desert Bistro or Jeffrey's Steak House for a big night out.

We Jeep ourselves so can't give you firsthand info on tours and rentals. But do a Hummer tour on Hell's Revenge, look at canyoneering trip with Cliffs and Canyons down Ephedra's Grotto, rent a Jeep from Farabee's and go out to Gemini Bridges and take the Long Trail back, rent bikes and try Slickrock Trail (carefully), hike Negro Bill Canyon on hot days, Delicate Arch at sunset, Aztec Butte in Canyonlands to see ruins, etc.

A week is a good amount of time in Moab. You can easily also hit Canyonlands Needles for a Chesler Park hike or even a daytrip over to Mesa Verde or Hovenweep.

Have fun.

Santa Ana, CA
reviews: 12
2. Re: help with trip planning

There is an excellent visitor center in Moab with late hours; should you want any help while you're there.

Here's the official website: www.discovermoab.com

florida
3. Re: help with trip planning

Thanks so much tumbleweed for all the info. Is it not possible to do Moab, Arches and Canyonlands in a week? Have already been to Mesa Verde. any recommendation on ATV rides?

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
reviews: 320
4. Re: help with trip planning

Maybe this will give you some ideas:

ohiohickpresents.weebly.com/tr---ut-2012.html

The link takes you to the trip report I posted after our visit to Moab last fall. Mostly hiking but we did do a raft trip as well. Lots of things to see and do in and around Moab.

I think a week in Moab provides plenty of time to really explore the parks and the surrounding area.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
reviews: 81
5. Re: help with trip planning

Moab is a town with such a diverse amount of activities and territory to explore in the parks, and almost moreso outside of the parks. You can spend a couple of days there, to a couple of months there easy.

Budget four days or so for the parks, and look at some of the tours or rentals for outside of the park, like an ATV trip like you mentioned, or a river trip, or a jeep tour, or?

The link that Danny provided is invaluable for figuring out what Moab has to offer, including the out of park commercila activities. make sure to check out OH's trip report. It is a good read.

Cedar City, UT
reviews: 112
6. Re: help with trip planning

I was just in Moab for 6 nights with 90 yr. old mother and her 85 yr. old visiting friend. I've been there before, but never with this much time....it was great.

These are two amazing older women who are active and love to hike/explore, but in moderation at this point in their lives so the more adventuresome activities that Moab offers are in their past. There is a wide variety of rafting, jeeping, atv's, canyoneering and biking available with many outfitters to choose from. Lots of good information here from the destination experts.

I would also recommend the visitor centers at each park and the Moab Visitor Center is excellent.

In the past, we've done the evening jet boat ride on the Colorado, which I enjoyed a lot more that I expected to. I was being a Utah "locals snob" so was pleasantly surprised. Even the family style, cowboy dinner before the tour, that out of state friends insisted on, was a lot of fun.

I loved having an entire day to spend at each of Arches, Island in the Sky (with stop at Dead Horse) Needles District, Newspaper Rock, Manti-La Sal Loop and in town.

We stayed in a condo (VRBO) as like the convenience of our own place to wake up to and return to at the end of the day. Being older gals, the kitchen was more important than the restaurants with the ability to pack the cooler for tailgate lunches every day and no need to go out again at night. The shower, jammies, a glass of wine and dinner on the patio with view of the Moab Rim was our idea of a great way to end each day, but not necessarily for everyone, still with the enthusiasm for nightlife.

We were on the road by 8:00am and usually home by 5:00, giving us time to do the Visitor Centers in the parks, viewpoints, pull outs, 1-2 mile hikes, photo ops, tailgate lunch, chatting with other visitors and never feeling rushed.

For our Moab day, after enjoying the galleries and Visitor Center we had a great time following the Moab Rock Art guide in search of petroglyphs, pictographs and dinosaur tracks. The Potash Rd. is especially rich with rock art and pretty drive along the river.

The Moab Brewery is a good lunch stop with generous portions, home brew, reasonable prices and fun atmosphere for all ages.

With a bit of research here you'll find lots of great suggestions for all activity and income levels. It's great that you have a week. I have felt fortunate to be there for 2-3 days in the past, but the 6 days spoiled me.

Have fun.

florida
7. Re: help with trip planning

thanks for all the great advice. Now a question-has been brough up to maybe do

zion, Bryce and around there vs Moab this time. any votes for one over the other for a first time??

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
reviews: 320
8. Re: help with trip planning

Both Moab (east side) and Bryce/Zion (west side) are wonderful and deserve a lot of time to truly explore. However, for this trip, since you are coming from CO, I would stick with Moab. Less driving involved.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
9. Re: help with trip planning

Yes, 2 extra days for driving. If you go Zion/Bryce also add Capitol Reef NP and hw12.

10. Re: help with trip planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 10, 2014