We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westwater 1 day rafting i mid Sept. Just for daredevils?

Which Moab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stockholm
reviews: 26
Westwater 1 day rafting i mid Sept. Just for daredevils?

We are a group of 6 swedish 49 year old high school buddies that are doing the trip of our life. We have booked a 1 day whitewater rafting tour down Westwater canyon in the end of september (the end of our trip). One of the guys have second thoughts and are worried of the risk of injuries. (dont want to end up hospitalized or worse....) He saw a "Paddle or die!" quote and got scarred...

I realy looking forward to the trip and have no personal doubts, and I like to reassure the rest of the group. I know that fatal accident are rare, but what about other injuries. How common are broken hand, legs etc.?

The group are fairly to very fit, but have limited rafting experience.

White water rafting is dangerous but on a scale: Westwater in september, 50 year old guys. do or don't? Is it just for daredevils or can average Joe manage it?

14 replies to this topic
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
reviews: 162
11. Re: Westwater 1 day rafting i mid Sept. Just for daredevils?

Glad to know it's still a good time on the river. Hope you all enjoy it and take home some good memories just as the others who posted have.

This from the BLM website for Westwater -

"River Flow

Typically, the river peaks at about 20,000 cubic feet per second (CFS) in late May or early June and recedes throughout the summer and fall seasons to reach a flow of less than 3,000 CFS. Discharge varies quite dramatically from year to year. High-water trips (13,000 CFS and above) can be extremely dangerous. A low water trip (1,000 to 5,000 CFS) can take 10 hours, a moderate level trip (5,000 to 13,000 CFS) about 7 hours, and a high-water trip (above 13,000 CFS) takes as little as 4 hours." As of today the water is at about 10,000 CFS (only about 1/2 of the average but better than last year).

For more detailed info check out the BLM website at blm.gov/ut/…westwater_canyon.html

Edited: 8:19 pm, May 28, 2013
Steamboat Springs...
reviews: 19
12. Re: Westwater 1 day rafting i mid Sept. Just for daredevils?

Thanks for that info SusieLou. I forgot that after the last rapids, it is quite a ways to the takeout. The commercial trip we were on, hooked all our boats up together and motored us back to the takeout. I'm sure we cut quite a bit of time off, what would have been, a long paddle back. I'm assuming all the commercial companies do this, especially in the fall, when water levels are much lower than spring runoff.

Stockholm
13. Re: Westwater 1 day rafting i mid Sept. Just for daredevils?

Thanks all for the great response. 100% of our party's convinced now. No hesitation, we will go rafting!

After all, we are Vikings, not Weaklings....

Stockholm
14. Re: Westwater 1 day rafting i mid Sept. Just for daredevils?

Well, we got our rafting adventure! The earlier rain ( we did the trip on 24th sept) made the rapids quite spectacular. Me and budy became swimers in Funnel rapids, and Skull rapid was scaring, The water were more mudd than water and full of debris, but we had a blast. Went swimming thru the last rapid. So fun!

100% success and one of the funniest thing ive ever done.

Reply to: Westwater 1 day rafting i mid Sept. Just for daredevils?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted