We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Older with limited mobility trip to SLC, Cedar City, Moab

Which Moab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kingston, WA
reviews: 66
Older with limited mobility trip to SLC, Cedar City, Moab

We are healthy Military retired Seniors with mild mobility issues and can handle up to 3 miles of walking-touring a day...(maybe twice)...otherwise we must drive to view sites and overlooks for photos.

Leaving Tue after Memorial Day....and can dwell in Utah up to three weeks....we love good hotels, brew pubs, and photo ops, music, and dance. Our intent is 3-4 days SLC, Cedar City, and MOAB each as operating bases.

What sites can you recommend for us where we might see the most natural park beauty with our limited walking (low incline) range?

There do not seem to be any good hotels available over the next two weeks....should we just confine our touring adventure to SLC and South.....? we hate to miss MOAB.

Any advice for us?

Edited: 1:05 pm, May 27, 2013
Kingston, WA
1. Re: Older with limited mobility trip to SLC, Cedar City, Moab

Addendum.....only Moab seems to be booked nearly solid next two weeks....car is not 4 wheel drive

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
reviews: 318
2. Re: Older with limited mobility trip to SLC, Cedar City, Moab

Welcome to the forum, WAJbcn.

I'm no help with SLC, but here's something that should aid with your touring in southern Utah:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28965-c177493/Utah:U…

This is a travel article about touring the natual wonders of the Grand Circle, specifically focusing on southern Utah.

Moab is a great base for Arches, Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point. That are great hikes of all lenghts in these hikes, but there is also plenty to see from the viewpoints, driving tours and short walks. Keep looking for lodging as I agree it would be a shame to miss Moab. Not sure what you define as a "good hotel" but there are several very nice options in Moab. We stayed twice at the Holiday Inn Express (just north of town). The Best Western Canyonlands Inn (in the middle of town) is a very nice place (never stayed there but did attend an event there and met some of the management who were great).

Cedar City is not the best base due to the drving distance to the parks (Bryce Canyon, Zion). Due to the distance between the parks, it is generally recommended to stay at/near each park.

Question: Where are you heading after Utah? The reason I ask is that will impact the recommendations on the route you might take.

here's one possibility:

After SLC, head to Moab for 3 or 4 days.

Next head across to Torrey with a stop at Goblin Valley State Park and a drive through visit of capital Reef.

Spend the morning in Capitol Reef, then take Route 12 to Bryce Canyon (get there in time for sunset).

Sunrise at BC, maybe a little hike below the rim, and finish with a drive through the viewpoints before heading to Zion.

2 or 3 days at Springdale/Zion.

Where to next?

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
3. Re: Older with limited mobility trip to SLC, Cedar City, Moab

OK, just saw you update. So what is your overall plan/route? Perhaps you can have UT and Moab be toward the end of your trip so that you get out of this highly booked timeframe?

Kingston, WA
4. Re: Older with limited mobility trip to SLC, Cedar City, Moab

Thank you so much for those ideas....will do more research....no wonder Cedar City has lots of rooms avail....lol.

we really don't have an itinerary fixed or a timeline....mostly hoping to aim our bow and discover....but I don't want to get us stranded for lack of planning places to stay.....we are traveling through Boise down to SLC....don't know what route back to Seattle...we are not in a hurry....just love poking and absorbing.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
5. Re: Older with limited mobility trip to SLC, Cedar City, Moab

Meandering and hoping for a place to lay your head might be tough with the places that you are trying to visit. Always better to have at least a rough plan that includes lodging reservations, IMO.

Another Trip Advisor forum that you might want to check out is the Road Trips forum since you are covering several states on your tour:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
6. Re: Older with limited mobility trip to SLC, Cedar City, Moab

OK, I don't generally do this, but I checked Expedia for June 1-8 in Moab and found rooms at the Holiday Inn Express and the Quality Suites (in the $150-200/night range; there were others available for much higher rates or in Green River which is a bit far out for exploring the Moab area). Keep checking; I think you can find a room.

Kingston, WA
7. Re: Older with limited mobility trip to SLC, Cedar City, Moab

We are back home now. Thanks everyone for the great help.

8. Re: Older with limited mobility trip to SLC, Cedar City, Moab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 14, 2014