We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay "off the beaten path"

Which Moab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
kansas city
reviews: 2
Where to stay "off the beaten path"

I've been to Moab a few times, always staying an RV or pop up at SlickRocks Bike Trail (and once at Goblin Valley). We are now going and taking the kids but NOT the RV. I want to stay somewhere that offers the same sort of feeling (not a condo or hotel IN town). I want the kids to spend most of their time outside playing etc. If we could ride our ATV's from the place that would be a big bonus, but not necessary. It would be nice if we could have the proximity to town for the nights we do want to eat out, but again, not necessary. I want to find "the perfect" place, but having trouble. We are a group of 10 so it has to be a larger place as well. I was in contact wiht someone a few years back when we thought we were going there for a vacation that had some sort of ranch at the far end of Sand Flats Road. If I remembered correctly they had a main ranch house/mess hall type place, and then it was made up mostly of simple sleeping rooms...but a few had kitchenettes. I can't remember the name of the place and can't find it listed anywhere, so it probably doesn't exist anymore...but if anybody knows the name of the place so I could at least quit scouring the internet for it...that would be great! Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 203
1. Re: Where to stay "off the beaten path"

Just to be clear, you are NOT looking to camp? I don't know of a place on Sand Flats Road but someone else might. We Jeep there a lot and don't know of anything right there. There is Sorrel River Ranch and Red Cliffs which are both out along the Colorado River on 128 in Castle Valley. Both are outstanding resorts. Expensive. About 15-20 minutes to town.

The other place you might check - and this MAY be the one you referred to - is Morris' Last Resort. It's south of Moab on La Sal Mountain Loop Road near Ken's Lake. You CAN access this road off Sand Flats so that might be what your friend was referring to. Worth a check. I've never been there but know about it.

Good luck.

Cedar City, UT
reviews: 112
2. Re: Where to stay "off the beaten path"

There's also Pack Creek Ranch that's further out of town, about 15 miles I think, to the south? We haven't stayed there, but I remember finding it online a few years ago while researching Moab guest ranches. VRBO might also have some good options for you.

We haven't stayed at the Sorrel Ranch that Tumbleweed suggested, but it looks beautiful. We have stayed at Red Cliffs a few times and love it, but it's just been the two of us so am not sure if they have cabins with more than two bedrooms. They have nice amenities including a large pool that's great at the end of hot days, a winery, film museum, restaurant, winery, teepees, grassy play areas and beautiful river/red rock views.

Others will probably provide more suggestions as it seems that there have been numerous conversations on TA on this subject over the years.

Sounds like a fun family vacation.

kansas city
reviews: 2
3. Re: Where to stay "off the beaten path"

I beleive I was combining two places into one (thus making them perfect). Whispering Oaks Ranch was the location I was thinking of. The ranch I was thinking of must be located somewhere else. And I haven't found it so it must no longer be around? or...I don't know. It had some bunk houses and had horse back riding but allowed ATV riding from the property and had a central "mess hall". It wasn't fancy so wouldn't have been Sorrel or Red Rocks (can't remember the exact names that were mentioned) unless they have spruced themselves up in the last 6 years (found old emails that make me think that was when I was last considering going out there). Thanks for your help. Guess the "perfect" place doesn't yet exist...but we'll figure something out.

Aurora, Illinois
reviews: 12
4. Re: Where to stay "off the beaten path"

Try 3 Dogs and aMoose - wonderful compound - beautiful!

5. Re: Where to stay "off the beaten path"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 04, 2014