We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in Harpers Ferry?

Which Harpers Ferry hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, Virginia
Swimming in Harpers Ferry?

Where are the best places to wade and swim in either river, and how do you get to them? Thanks for any help.

2 replies to this topic
Indian Head...
1. Re: Swimming in Harpers Ferry?

Honestly, I am only replying because it appears no one else has. I am not all too familiar with the area, but I can speak from the ONE experience my family has had. A couple years ago we had ventured to the state park on a REALLY hot summer day and we encountered other children splashing around in the river (not far from the bus drop off location). We allowed our boys to go in, but of course not far. I guess it was much more "wading" than swimming, but it cooled them off and they had a great time. Whether it was actually "allowed", I have no idea. I hope this helps.

Edited: 11:47 pm, August 05, 2013
Fort Belvoir...
reviews: 119
2. Re: Swimming in Harpers Ferry?

First , PLEASE be careful IF you try to go out into the Potomac. There are some strong under currents in this river. Not a lot of people swim in there. Stay to the shallow areas. Look for some off beat creeks to swim in would be my suggestion. I say this because I grow up in these areas of WV.

Reply to: Swimming in Harpers Ferry?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted