We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bed and Breakfast general inquiry

Which Harpers Ferry hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kentucky
reviews: 38
Bed and Breakfast general inquiry

We are planning a trip to Harpers Ferry and then on to Gettysburg. I see several places to stay in Harpers Ferry, but some of those are "bed and breakfasts." I've never stayed in a bed and breakfast because the feeling I get is that you actually have to interact on some sort of social level with the innkeeper type person who is providing the breakfast. You folks are going to think I'm terrible, but when I am on vacation, I don't want to socially interact with anyone other than the people I am on the vacation with.

What is a Bed and Breakfast really like? Can you be anonymous like you are in a hotel, or will you just look like a big idiot/jerk to the B&B owner if you're not all interested in visiting with them or getting to know them? We are kind of jerky and standoffish ... hey, at least I'm honest about it!

Eastern Panhandle
reviews: 25
1. Re: Bed and Breakfast general inquiry

I am an innkeeper, and I would say that if you don't want social interaction you should choose your B&B carefully. Innkeepers try to figure out how much you want, but you will definitely get a more personal check-in experience - you will be shown to your room and probably get an overview of the common areas so you will know where things are (coffee, snacks, etc.). Most times you will see other people at breakfast, although some B&Bs have room service. Personally I'm not insulted if a guest doesn't want my attention - I have other rooms that probably do and I get tired of it, too, after awhile - but in most B&Bs it would be unreasonable to expect complete solitude all the time. You might try a larger B&B - 10 or more rooms, or a boutique hotel, or cabin/VRBO rentals. Some B&Bs offer cabins as well as rooms and might work for you. Around Harpers Ferry, the Hillbrook Inn has more of a hotel feel and a restaurant, so probably individual tables for breakfast. It's actually in Charles Town but not too far away. The Bavarian Inn in Shepherdstown has 70-ish rooms and is an independently owned hotel, about 10 miles from Harpers Ferry.

2. Re: Bed and Breakfast general inquiry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, April 25, 2015