We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat Tours

Which Bayfield hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
23 posts
Boat Tours

We will be going to Bayfield and only have one day, Saturday Sept 22, to do any boat tours. We may have Friday too, but we might drive to Duluth for that day, then Bayfield Saturday. Wondering what my husband and I should make sure we do for a tour if Saturday is the only day. We wont have as much time as we would like so I want to make sure we make it a good choice considering we will only have time for one. Also curious if I should order tickets prior.

For a background, we have never been on a sail boat and neither of us are interested in kayaking. With that said we have no idea what to expect on a sail boat versus the cruise boats. I'm looking for something that will really show us what the lake has. We find the ship wrecks interesting but also the island wonder of sea caves and natural beauty too.

I'd appreciate any insight that can be offered. Thank you so much!!

8 replies to this topic
Plover, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
384 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Boat Tours

Apostle Islands cruise service has great tours, www.apostleisland.com they take you around the islands to see the caves and lighthouses, but never get as close to the caves as you can get with a smaller boat or sail boat can do.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
23 posts
2. Re: Boat Tours

Thank you!

Would a sailboat tour be a better tour then the cruise?

Branson, Missouri
Level Contributor
2 posts
46 reviews
3. Re: Boat Tours

A sailboat would likely give you a more personal, customized experience, but it is also more expensive. The Apostle Island Cruise service was great and affordable (the Grand Cruise was about $45) and gave several options for cruise type.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
5,403 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: Boat Tours

www.deltadiner.com if you have time after Duluth in the morning on the way to Bayfield if you don't mind the roadtrip. It's a neat location. Or a special treat is to dine at the Old Rittenhouse Inn's Landmark Restaurant. It's extraordinary for the $15 each and well worth it.

rittenhouseinn.com/blog/…

for fun quick walks: find the Iron Bridge and Brownstone Trail along Lake Superior, in Bayfield.

Patsy's in Washburn has a great Fish Fry for Friday night.

Rhinelander...
1 post
5. Re: Boat Tours

Superior . Day Cruises offers a great tour from Bayfield or Madeline Island. Website is superiordaycruises.com This a great hands on experience to get to the sea caves(ice caves) lighthouses and other places. Captain Mark is very knowledgeable about the shipwrecks and local legends.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
206 reviews
6. Re: Boat Tours

^^^^SPAM^^^^

plus, this thread is a year and a half old.....................

Waukesha, Wisconsin
1 post
7. Re: Boat Tours

On July 1, 2014 we toured the Sea Caves with Good Earth Outfitters LLC out of Cornucopia, WI. near Bayfield, WI. We were in a small boat - 6 passengers is the max.- that was able to get up close to the shore and in and out of some of the larger sea caves. Mike, owner and tour guide, had excellent information about the lake, area and the caves. He kept the boat steady for some excellent up close pictures. We were able to be close enough that our little point and shoot camera captured the grandeur of the cliffs and caves. The price was reasonable for a small group, personal tour. Mike and his wife also own the gift shop where the tours begin. The shop has local inspired items, postcards and Lake Superior memorabilia plus camping and sailing gear. We give a big thumbs up and 5 star rating.

Edited: 2:23 pm, July 13, 2014
WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
5,403 posts
107 reviews
8. Re: Boat Tours

Lynn welcome to the boards, the above would be great additionally shared as a review, sounds exactly like one in fact so if you take the time to do that as well that would be wonderful. That's a great area, sounds like you enjoyed your trip.

Reply to: Boat Tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted