We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BART help, please

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
mid-atlantic
reviews: 1
BART help, please

Hi all..again

I'm having a hard time figuring this out by searching the previous posts and an unable to firmly decipher by looking at the website. What is included when you buy a BART card? Is it simply for the subway? Does it include busfares and cablecar fares as well?

I want to make sure that I can navigate the city to make the most of my time there.

--
reviews: 2
1. Re: BART help, please

Your garden variety (most commonly Blue striped) BART ticket is good only for riding BART. Within San Francisco, at least the downtown stations have a machine within the paid area of the station that dispenses a ticket good for a small (I believe $0.25) discount on Muni fares.

There are fixed-value BART Plus Tickets which in addition to having a set dollar value for riding BART work as a pass for riding various bus systems including San Francisco's Muni and SamTrans. These tickets are good only for the first 15 days or last half of any given month (i.e.each month is split into an A and B half) so if your trip crosses either a 1st or 15th of the month you'd have to buy two BART plus tickets. More details on the BART Plus Ticket at:

www.bart.gov/tickets/types/typesPlus.asp

London
2. Re: BART help, please

If you're staying in the city and not travelling to other places in the Bay Area or even only doing so once or twice, you might be better off getting a ticket which will include buses etc around the city. The Bay Area Rapid Transit is more of a service in and out of the city than one for getting around.

Erie, Pennsylvania
reviews: 9
3. Re: BART help, please

Get the Muni Pass. 1, 3, or 7 Days. It's good for evwerything in the City EXCEPT BART, but you won't be needing BART unless you leave the city, in which case buy a ticket at the station at the time of your trip.

Muni is the San Francisco public transit system and includes buses, streetcars, trolleys and cable cars.

BART is a (primarily) commuter rail system designed to bring people in and out of the city.

san francisco
reviews: 5
4. Re: BART help, please

From the muni (bus/streetcer) page:

"The Passport Pass is available in 1 to 7-day increments and is good for unlimited bus/streetcar and cable car rides. The Weekly Pass, good for unlimited bus/streetcar rides Monday through Sunday, is cheaper than the 7-day Passport but cable car rides cost an extra $1 each. The San Francisco CityPass is good for seven consecutive days on Muni and is also good for admission to several attractions in the city. It provides a savings over the individual admission prices for the attractions and fare for Muni."

San Francisco...
reviews: 19
5. Re: BART help, please

BART is great for travelling between San Francisco and its eastern and southern suburbs. You can also use BART within San Francisco, but there is only one BART route through San Francisco, and there are many locations in San Francisco which aren't close to BART. BART charges for each trip. A high-value BART ticket will last for more trips, but you will be charged for each trip.

MUNI provides bus, trolley, cable car, and light rail service in San Francisco, with at least one route going everywhere in the city. There are passes available that give you unlimited travel for a period of time for a fixed price. (I'm not sure whether cable cars are included in the passes.)

mid-atlantic
6. Re: BART help, please

Thanks all who answered--judging by your answers, I had absolutely no idea how the public transport system works in your city--now I do. I will do some research on the diffrent passes you mentioned.

Merci

7. Re: BART help, please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 15, 2009