We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June visit for 3 full days in an RV

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fond du Lac...
reviews: 42
June visit for 3 full days in an RV

We are Traveling with 18&15yr old and looking to stay in Pacifica by the ocean. This is our 1st time in San Francisco and want to make sure we see the highlights but have time to hang at the beach before we go to Yosemite. We are thinking Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge, China Town, Fishermans Wharf, Lombard street. Any other suggestions or how to put it together by where they are located?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
1. Re: June visit for 3 full days in an RV

Have a read through our Top Questions (right side of screen non mobile version of TA). There is one that includes a Map of attractions. Another about what to do and see in SF. Then info on how to get to attractions using the bus with Union Square as a starting point.

How do you plan on getting to/from Pacifica each day?

The ocean at Pacifica (and everywhere along the California coast) is quite cold. I hope you're not thinking of swimming! Pacifica can also be quite foggy although on a clear day it's a lovely place with the mountains coming down to meet the ocean.

Be sure to purchase your Alcatraz tickets in advance. They go on sale about 90 days in advance and always sell out -- weeks ahead in summer. Top Question on Alcatraz also.

Fond du Lac...
2. Re: June visit for 3 full days in an RV

Thank you for the information! I'll get on the computer and start looking that up! We plan on traveling by BART.

And I'm hoping it is as least warm enough to just "hang" on the beach! We are coming from WI and are pretty used to the cold Great Lakes! But just having nice weather will be a break!!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
3. Re: June visit for 3 full days in an RV

You will need a means of transit between Pacifica and a BART station. Colma station is 4 miles away and Daly City is 5. There are buses but I'm not aware of how frequently they're scheduled. Simba_8 hopefully will be around soon to assist.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 831
4. Re: June visit for 3 full days in an RV

The RV "resort" in Pacifica is not a resort. It is a glorifed parking lot with hookups. Spaces are very tight and close together. Given that the RV parks around SF are all this way, it may be your best option if you want to be on water, but it is not a good representative of RV parks!

Reviews:

rvparkreviews.com/regions/…Pacifica.html

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32842-d3929688…

--

You do have your campsite booked for Yosemite, yes?

sf
5. Re: June visit for 3 full days in an RV

I'm not sure what the fascination is for Btits and RV's, but unlike the rest of the USA, SF is not a RV friendly city. The land id too expensive for RV Parks so they tend to be fairly far from the city, or in marginal areas.

You may be able to park the RV at the Samtrans Lot outside Colma BART and pay for multiple spaces at $2 each, then take BART into SF.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 8
6. Re: June visit for 3 full days in an RV

"...And I'm hoping it is as least warm enough to just "hang" on the beach!"...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well, you can hope. Northern California coastal areas tend to be quite cool, especially in the summer months. The fog or marine layer helps keep it that way when the interiors of the state heat up.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
reviews: 4
7. Re: June visit for 3 full days in an RV

You'll be able to hang out along the beach, but the water is cold and it chills the air nearby, so expect temperatures in the 60s. No need for suntan lotion.

The beach near the RV park isn't very developed. The main beach in Pacifica is on the very south side of town, at Linda Mar.

Bus service in Pacifica is terrible. I'd suggest either taking a cab to BART, which I'll guess is about $15 each way, or drive your RV to the Colma BART station and park it in the outer lot. It's supposedly not allowed to park an RV there, but I always see at least a half-dozen there at any one time. As mentioned, just make sure you pay for each parking space you use.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 80
8. Re: June visit for 3 full days in an RV

Regarding suntan lotion - you should sunblock on regardless of whether it is foggy or sunny. The UV rays come through when it is overcast and can still burn your skin. Most people don't realize it, so they don't put any sunblock on and they stay out longer. Even if you don't burn, skin damage occurs.

Fond du Lac...
9. Re: June visit for 3 full days in an RV

Thank you for ur help!! It looks like we will take a cab to BART...& not have expectations on the beach weather!! Maybe we can drive south in 1 and take a look at some of those beaches!?!?

Yes... We saw the reviews at Pacifica... And there really aren't many options... But it should be good enough to sleep! & there's a pool for the kids... Even if it's cooler out!

Yes... We are all booked at Yosemite!:)

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 55
10. Re: June visit for 3 full days in an RV

>>Maybe we can drive south in 1 and take a look at some of those beaches!?!?<<

Only if you drive 10 hours or so south to Santa Barbara and points beyond!! Central and Northern California beaches are very similar -- good for tide-pooling, beachcombing, photos, kite-flying, hang-gliding, windsurfing (LOTS of wind!), walking, etc. Not so good for sunbathing or mai-tai sipping! But compared to Wisconsin lakes, it should be downright balmy!

(One thing about the ocean, though, don't turn your back on it when wading or rock-climbing... "sneaker" waves wash unwary folks out to sea frequently. And be aware of tides to avoid getting cut off from the rest of the beach.)