We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel choices

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tn
reviews: 31
Hotel choices

I had posted before and you all were very helpful. We are coming in Sept and had decided to stay at the Hyatt Embarcadero. Since that time, I have found that there is now construction in front of the Hyatt and that access to transportation will not be as easy as I thought. So, I checked and can get a room at the Orchard Hotel . The reviews on trip advisor are much better for the Orchard and I am now second guessing my choice. I would appreciate your advice and thoughts.

16 replies to this topic
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
1. Re: Hotel choices

I thought the construction was near the Hyatt Union Square (a subway or something), not the Hyatt Embarcadero. Are you sure? A local expert will be along soon to tell me whether I am wrong.

People like the Orchard. It is about two blocks above Union Square. I have never stayed there, however.

San Francisco...
reviews: 90
2. Re: Hotel choices

Here is a photo of the front Drumm and Market …blogspot.com/2013/…

PM if you need more photos.

The hotel is open, but the BART/muni entrance right next to the hotel is closed. however, there are other entrances open.

When you arrive, just exit from the exit A2. Walk straight ahead and the hotel is right there. It just is messy and unpleasant as you can see from the photo. But transport options still work well and you can use BART and MUNI

To catch the cable car away from construction, just walk down California to corner of Davis one block for the stop.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 8:41 pm, August 20, 2013
San Francisco Bay
reviews: 13
3. Re: Hotel choices

I walked by there twice last week, and it was no big deal. I had no trouble getting into the Muni station / BART station area. So choose your hotel without too much anxiety.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
4. Re: Hotel choices

The Orchard is a very nice hotel -- located at Powell and Bush. It's not as close to BART for airport access but it's not a terrible 5 block walk (although the last block of Powell from Sutter to Bush is an uphill slog).

Hard call between the two. The Orchard is more "Union Square" area and puts it closer to shopping and dining options. But the Regency is close to the waterfront and you may possibly get a bay view room. Both are on good Muni transit.

Ahhhh, decisions, decisions. In this case I can't see a "right" answer.

San Francisco...
reviews: 90
5. Re: Hotel choices

It might worthwhile to call and speak to the front desk mgr. And ask about the construction and explain your dilemma. Ask about construction noise and tell the person to note in your reservation about your concern and request a high floor away from the noise. See how receptive they are to your concerns.

you can always drop my name but that might get you a room in the basement :-)

I assume you are not driving. The construction looks like it will slow you down if you are driving in and out but taking transit should be fine... Just a little messy.

Edited: 9:01 pm, August 20, 2013
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 109
6. Re: Hotel choices

Agree with the PP. I don't think you can go wrong with either hotel It also depends on what you are planning to do . Lot of

Shopping then Orchard. A nice jog in the morning The Hyatt

Edited: 9:10 pm, August 20, 2013
Tn
7. Re: Hotel choices

You all are fantastic! I did not expect an answer so quickly. We are flying into SFO. Thank you for making me feel better. I will call the Hyatt and explain my concerns. My other concern was that we would be placed next to the construction and would have to deal with the noise. We are not shoppers - more into sightseeing. :)

I have been reading the forum for several months now and you all provide such great information. I have read the FAQs about Muni and BART. Once I decide on the hotel, I will be asking more questions. Again , thanks for the info.

8. Re: Hotel choices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:26 pm, August 21, 2013

Tn
9. Re: Hotel choices

Well, I called the Hyatt today and asked about the construction around the hotel. I was told that it is on 2 sides of the hotel - one side is the bay side. When I told her I was more concerned about the noise from the work site than the view, I was told that I would definitely hear the noise. So, I will confer w husband, but we probably won't stay at the Hyatt.

Thank you again for all your help.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 109
10. Re: Hotel choices

The Orchard is a fine hotel. I personally feel you are over thinking this. I get it that you want less noise.

Edited: 2:59 pm, August 21, 2013
Reply to: Hotel choices
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted