We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats the best way to book?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
Whats the best way to book?

hi me and my girlfriend are planning on visiting america next year around may, mainly looking to go either san fran, or las vegas.

just wondering is there any packet deals or advice any one could give us on booking around 7 days here.

were both 23 so would want plenty to do and see.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
reviews: 4
1. Re: Whats the best way to book?

I can't help you with the packet deals. About the only time they come up on this forum is when someone's booked one, and then they find out they're staying in a fleabag hotel or a hotel that's 20 miles out of town.

Half the fun of going on holiday is doing the research beforehand, and booking hotels and flights isn't that hard. I'd encourage you to do that.

If you spend 7 days in SF, you might consider an overnight to either the Monterey/Carmel area, or the Napa/Sonoma wine country. If you spend 7 days in Las Vegas, you should look into an overnight at the Grand Canyon.

If it was me, I'd buy a multi-city plane ticket and fly into SF for three full days, fly to Las Vegas for three days, and then fly home. Or vice-versa.

Edited: 5:33 am, July 26, 2013
maine
reviews: 11
2. Re: Whats the best way to book?

We booked through Orbitz and got an excellent flight/hotel/car package with rooms at the Orchard Garden Hotel (which gets very good reviews and is near Union Square). I did a lot of research and comparison first and we essentially got the car thrown in for free, (compared to what we would have paid had we booked hotel/flight and car separately). Sometimes it makes sense to book with a package, sometimes, not. Depends on where you want to go and where you want to stay.

Cornwall
reviews: 8
3. Re: Whats the best way to book?

Generally the best advice is to book flights directly with the airline because of the chance of schedule changes, cancellations etc and the nightmare it can cause if you book third party. Hotel rooms in Vegas tend to be best booked direct with the hotel but not ages in advace as promo prices wont have been releases. Bear in mind though that most Vegas Strip hotels charge a resort fee now, typically an additional 25 bucks each day payable locally although I **think** you can avoid this by booking a deal through a travel agent.

Expedia is pretty good for SF hotels I find. Failing that, if I had to book entirely through a third party, Expedia would be the one I would choose. I guess you could do a package direct with say Virgin or BA but I think you would pay less shopping around.

Penryn, United...
reviews: 9
4. Re: Whats the best way to book?

another vote for Expedia sign up to there newsletter and also visit sites like travelzoo / dealchecker and flight centre and sign up to there email alerts

you will get plenty of good advice on here from people who know

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
5. Re: Whats the best way to book?

Is there something we can help you with since you posted in the SF forum. before you book the Sf part of your vacation, please read the Top 10 questions on the 2nd post and there is info on conventions as that hikes up the price often. You can also read about day trips or overnights you can take from here to places such as Yosemite and Wine Country and Carmel by bus

I would try and book from one of the hotel consolidators with a cancelable reservation and see if rates change

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 27
6. Re: Whats the best way to book?

I would plan your trip directly and not just book a vacation package from someone without examining the parts of the package to be sure they're really what you want and that they're a reasonable price.

Sometimes you can save a little bit of money by booking airfare+hotel+car together through one of the many travel resellers (expedia, hotels.com, hotwire, priceline, etc, etc). Usually I find I can do about as well booking separately if I'm careful and maybe have more choices, but booking together may also save some time to get it all at once. Just be sure you're getting what you want rather than being enticed into something non-ideal because of the price.

7. Re: Whats the best way to book?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 28, 2014