We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to Eat

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 27
Places to Eat

Hi all

Can you pass on recommendations of places to eat in San Fran.

* Cheesecake Factory in Macy's

* Frances

* house of prime ribbed ?

Any good steakhouses / pizza&pasta places ?

Ft. Lauderdale
reviews: 12
1. Re: Places to Eat

Cheesecake Factory is a chain restaurant but the menu is extensive and the food is very good.

Richard

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
2. Re: Places to Eat

There are so many places to eat -- Thousands of restaurants. If you search this forum, you will get a lot of ideas on Steakhouses and Pasta Places

Frances is good for California cuisine. Ditto with House of Prime Rib -- a SF institution

North Beach is full of Pasta places -- walk around and choose one Ideale, E Tuto Qua, Perbacco, Flour+water, Aquarello, La Ciccia. All depends on your budget.

Steak -- Harris, Bobo, Epic Roasthouse, Bourbon Steak

Cheesecake factory -- sure may be something a visitor from abroad may want to checkout

Edited: 11:06 am, July 25, 2013
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
3. Re: Places to Eat

Cheesecake Factory -- NO

Frances -- I haven't been but I hear it's good, albeit very pricey. For steaks I like Bobo's or Harris'

House of Prime Rib -- old fashioned but fun

Pizza ... there are loads. Tony's gets mentioned often (often a wait).

Pasta -- again more than you can shake a stick at. In North Beach: Contadina, Ideale, E Tutto Qua. At Union Square: Fino's. On Union Street: Capanina's.

sf
4. Re: Places to Eat

Agree on Cheesecake-No unless you like over salted food.

Frances -no experience

House of Prime Rib- a definite choice for Prime Rib lovers

Espetus- Brazillian Steakhouse for a different take on the Carnivore experience(was there for lunch over last weekend)

espetus.com

Santa Clara...
reviews: 13
5. Re: Places to Eat

Cheesecake - I haven't eaten in the SF one for a couple of years, but it is not all bad food. Just a lot more options in a culinary city like SF. There is a lot of snobbery and elitism in this city about what constitute good food. I go to other CF branches and eat sensibly by sharing an appetizer (which is really entree' size). It is a fun environment and the cheesecakes are not bad. Also, there is SOMETHING on that menu even for the pickiest or restrictive eater which makes it a good gathering place for groups with mixed dietary needs. Folks here make it sound it is poison.

Espetus - second that for another meat experience. Fun and yummy.

San Francisco, CA
reviews: 1
6. Re: Places to Eat

In the downtown shopping area there are several good restaurants in the San Francisco Center shopping area near Bloomingdales. On the ground floor there are many "fastfood" choices, but all are local places, definitely not megachains. If you want a slightly quieter dining experience, ride the escalators up to the 4th floor dome. I haven't tried them all, but Martin Yan's place and Lark Creek Steak are very good, and probably the rest of them are also.

San Frantastic
reviews: 12
7. Re: Places to Eat

What an interesting list you have put together!

1. Cheesecake F. & Macy's: I'm always wondering why people put this on their to-do lists. CF is perhaps a nice way to sample "American" mall food, at best. You can shop @ Macy' online. Otherwise, it's just a giant department store.

2. Frances is a wonderful restaurant. If you really want to go the Cheesecake Factory, you can skip France, because if you like one, you will not like the other.. They are universes apart in terms of quality, service, and ambiance. It takes a while to get a reservations @ Frances, so plan ahead, if this is what you decide to do. Frances is small. It is lovely. The service is wonderful. It is a place where you will want to savor every bite for as long as you can. If you are there at sunset, and sitting in the window, you may never want to leave...

3. The House of Prime Rib is a good choice for a good steak in in a uniquely San Franciscan place. You cannot have this particular experience anywhere else.

4. As far as pasta goes, if you are truly past afficianados, then Flour & Water (as suggested by belomoser) is a must. But it is quite off the beaten path. Ask for more details if you are interested -- I don't send anyone to F&W without some menu instructions. (Otherwise, I don't see how one pasta joint is so different from the next.)

Again, I am very intrigued with how you came up with your original list. Please contact me directly, off-forum, if you care to.

Scottsdale, Arizona
8. Re: Places to Eat

Brian, here's the thing about a top quality American steak. I see from your travel map you have not been anywhere that makes a heart-stopping steak. When you come here you will be able to get the best steak you have ever had and perhaps the best you will ever have. You will want to go to Harris' or perhaps a couple of the others recommended, and maybe others will add places after reading this. You want to get a big, fat, juicy USDA PRIME AGED (for 3 weeks) steak that is properly cooked to perfection. You will light a candle for America after you eat it.

Dublin, California
reviews: 29
9. Re: Places to Eat

I know visitors from the lands of no chain have a fascination with our chain restaurants. But I have never seen the CF mentioned positively in so many posts in one thread. I give up. I am going to recommend OP goes to Joe's Crap, I mean Crab, Shack, Rainforest Cafe (nothing says San Francisco more than the rainforest), and of course, our newest star, Applebees.

San Francisco...
reviews: 57
10. Re: Places to Eat

Brian, I am a fellow Irishman, now living in SF. I have only been to Cheesecake Factory once, the first week I moved here, and I loved it! Not the food, that is average at best (and the portions are ridiculously big) but if you can get an outside table at nighttime, the view of Union Square is a delight for newcomers to the city. Locals might find it too cold to sit outside at night, but it's positively balmy for an Irishman ;-)

Edited: 5:02 pm, July 25, 2013