We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat Trips During Americas Cup

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
reviews: 3
Boat Trips During Americas Cup

Hi, as part of our California road trip we will be in San Francisco from midday Saturday 14th September, until Tuesday 17th September. I understand this is when the Americas Cup Sailing event is on. We want to do the usual tourist stuff like drive over the Golden Gate Bridge, go to Sausalito, drive to the Headlands, do the boat trip under the Golden Gate and also go to Alcatraz. Will any of this be effected by the sailing event itself? Should we book anything or will we be ok to wait until we are there?

Thanks

San Francisco...
1. Re: Boat Trips During Americas Cup

it seems that the event could be over on the 14th. 15th and 17th are scheduled for race days IF needed. 16th is a reserve day. 2 races a day at 1:10 and 2:10. tix for alcatraz go very fast. please read Top Questions.

cupinfo.com/en/acrm-americas-cup-2013-lvc-ra…

Edited: 12:50 pm, June 20, 2013
Manchester, United...
2. Re: Boat Trips During Americas Cup

So do you think I should pre book the boat tickets then? How will the other San Francisco things I want to do be affected?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
3. Re: Boat Trips During Americas Cup

It's a good question as to whether things like the Bay Cruises or Alcatraz ferries will be disrupted by America's Cup races.

Here's a map which shows the sailing area: americascup.com/en/…where-to-watch

It would appear that the Bay Cruises would be impacted. Hard to tell about Alcatraz. I would email them and ask. But, as Rachel points out, they may be done by the time you arrive.

You should definitely order Alcatraz tickets soon (they are already sold out through the first week of July).

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 131
4. Re: Boat Trips During Americas Cup

Book the early bird Alcatraz as it will least likely be affected. Unless you are staying in FW, the Muni system may be crowded getting there during the afternoon when the races are. Or perhaps the last night Alcatraz cruise - you may still have a few crowds getting there. The ferry ride to Alcatraz is 15 mins so even if they go around the area or go between races you should be ok

I just hope the cup lives up to the hype

San Francisco...
5. Re: Boat Trips During Americas Cup

TG, WE don't even know how things are going to effect US! no matter what you need to book Alcatraz ASAP.

it's the best of 9 races the site states. so could all be done before you get here! so none of your other questions matter. it posted times of 1:10 and 2:10, but as the site states, everything is subject to CHANGE. also, sept. is a VERY busy month here for conventions and tourism and baseball. go giants again - that was in honor of you belo!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 131
6. Re: Boat Trips During Americas Cup

We went for an afternoon last Summer and the races were ok but it was more fun to see them on the large screen they had than from the view stand. Used to sail when I was in college so I enjoy the sport.

Thanks Rachel. go Giants, MarlySF, Sean c, Sal krslong are also big fans. Big Al, I don't know about Al who wants to leave his kids on Alcatraz. Big A's fan. I will say Go A's too. As long as we don't play in the WS, it is fine. They are a good team

Edited: 2:50 pm, June 20, 2013
7. Re: Boat Trips During Americas Cup

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 22, 2014