We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking around San Francisco

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
Walking around San Francisco

After looking at many of the places that I would like to visit on my trip to SF I think most of them are easy enough to walk to.

But it it still worthwhile getting a MUNI card for a week anyway?

Presidio and Golden gate bridge are probably 2 hours walk, but in a city as spectacular as SF it's probably an enjoyable walk.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: Walking around San Francisco

It is hard to say one way or the other. The city is 49 sq miles and the central area is very hilly and most would rather take the cable car(it only has 3 routes and two go from union square to the FW ) or a bus. Also places like GG Park and the Presidio are not walking distance from Union square for most people. if you are an avid walker and long distance runner, sure you can do that. You can also bike around the city.

MUNI passport are very convenient and if one rides the cable car once or twice that is 12 and about a third of the 7 day passport

In the grand scheme of what people spend on vacations and hotels and airfare, it may or may not make a difference but if one is in town for 5 days, surely one can use the MUNI a lot

Edited: 5:05 pm, May 17, 2013
scotland
2. Re: Walking around San Francisco

Thank you very much for this informative response.

I am an avid runner, but hey I'm on holiday : )

Cable cars it is!

sf
3. Re: Walking around San Francisco

Beside what Belo mentioned, we often have some terrific wind either off the ocean or SF Bay, which can make walking a long distance difficult. GG Park is a great place to walk around but at the end of the day a bus ride home is nice.

Walking the neighborhoods is a fun way to see the City , especially the Mission, Hayes Valley, Marina and along the Embarcadero.

Edited: 5:53 pm, May 17, 2013
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
4. Re: Walking around San Francisco

You can easily walk 4-6 miles in the Presidio alone ... do you want to spend 1+ hours to get there and back?

While SF is geographically small there is a lot of up and down to it. It's much better to suss out the public transit than trying to walk everywhere.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
reviews: 3
5. Re: Walking around San Francisco

Walking to the Golden Gate Bridge or Presidio is enjoyable.

Walking back from the Golden Gate Bridge or Presidio with sore feet isn't so enjoyable. That's why a Muni passport might be a worthwhile investment.

scotland
6. Re: Walking around San Francisco

All excellent points to be honest.

Especially about walking home after walking the parks etc.

Seems like a no brainer now.

Thanks for all the very helpful responses.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
7. Re: Walking around San Francisco

And if you're interested in a Presidio Walk here's a good thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k639671…

And a super link to Presidio trails and overlooks: presidio.gov/explore/…default.aspx

The Presidio is an urban oasis and the trails have had a lot of TLC over the past 5-10 years and are in excellent condition.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
reviews: 20
8. Re: Walking around San Francisco

Belo, pretty much channeled a lot of my comments, but did miss one of my intangible benefits of a Passport. You're getting tired and see a bus or whatever coming up, hop right on! Or, if you're riding and see something that looks interesting, hop off and check it out. You don't care; it's not costing you anything!

Also, if you realize youve got a load of stuff and want to drop it at the hotel . . . .

Okay, that's more than one, you get the idea (I hope),

hlo

Ennis, Ireland
reviews: 131
9. Re: Walking around San Francisco

I agree totally with the other comments. You will not regret buying the MUNI passport.

We are great walkers and did quite a lot of it during our trip to San Francisco.

However, we bought the 7 day MUNI passport and it was great to hop on a cable car or the F train if we felt like getting to our destination faster, and definitely great to have it on the way back to the hotel:-)

It is really great value and you recoup the cost with just a few trips on the cable car.

We particularly enjoyed the walk we did from Fisherman's Walk to Golden Gate Bridge and down in to Sausalito. Most people do this as a cycle but we decided to walk it and loved it, and we didn't have to join the queue of bicycles for the ferry:-)

New York City, New...
reviews: 172
10. Re: Walking around San Francisco

Where can one purchase a 7 day pass for the busses?