We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plus (XL/14-16) Shopping in San Francisco

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 1
Plus (XL/14-16) Shopping in San Francisco

I am looking for shops in San Francisco that carry US sizes 14-16 (women's). As it is a vacation, I would love to visit locally owned boutiques with unique pieces and good service. But it seems many of the local boutiques stop at a size large. If the Nordstrom's/Macy's ect... women's section is particularly good I would also like to know.

I am interested in all kinds of clothing (cocktail dresses to casual, although I have plenty of denim) and all price points excluding new expensive designer. By that I mean that I might be willing to spend $200-300 on a special dress but that cheaper is also great. I don't want anything too on the edge of fashion but I don't want blah, although good quality basics are also appreciated. I am open to discount designer stores and vintage/consignment.

I am staying downtown (Union Square/Nob Hill) and I will not have a car, so keep all recommendations confined to San Francisco proper. It needs to be someplace I can reach via public transportation or 15-20 max minute cab ride.

Thanks for all your help!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 110
1. Re: Plus (XL/14-16) Shopping in San Francisco

Here are a few resources: …cbslocal.com/top-lists/…

But you should also check Yelp.

Nashville, Tennessee
2. Re: Plus (XL/14-16) Shopping in San Francisco

Thanks for the resource; I had not seen the CBS article! I have looked on Yelp; they are a great resource. Igigi is mentioned, (although apparently it's showroom is closed to the end of the year) as is Torrid, Lane Bryant and Go Figure as plus sized boutiques. I'm not sure if there are others. There are also tons of other non-plus size boutiques listed, but Yelp does not state if they carry XL. This is a borderline size and I know in Nashville only some stores carry it; for example Lucky Jeans does, but J. Crew stops at a 12 in pants/skirts. I would expect this would be worse in San Francisco, especially for boutique stores. I was wondering if any women knew/had seen XL carried at their favorite stores. Thanks for your help sfimporter.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
3. Re: Plus (XL/14-16) Shopping in San Francisco

I thought all Macy's stores had a plus size section. Try their website - I'll bet they have a contact link.

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 46
4. Re: Plus (XL/14-16) Shopping in San Francisco

Actually, you can usually get up to size 16 in regular departments in Macy's... I've done it in Jones New York. Over 16 gets a little trickier. I've also bought clothes in size 16 in Ross Dress for Less and Marshall's.

Edited: 11:33 pm, May 11, 2013
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 1,778
5. Re: Plus (XL/14-16) Shopping in San Francisco

Also be sure to check out Chico's

www.yelp.com/biz/chicos-san-francisco-6

San Francisco...
reviews: 5
6. Re: Plus (XL/14-16) Shopping in San Francisco

Try J Jill located in Stonestown - easy Muni ride on the M line. Their sizing is 14/16 = L, while XL = 18/20. Clothing is mostly natural fabrics - cotton, linen, silk, etc.

If you mean 14/16W (1X), they carry that size as well, but you may need to order through their catalogue.

Nashville, Tennessee
7. Re: Plus (XL/14-16) Shopping in San Francisco

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions! It's good to know I will have options.

8. Re: Plus (XL/14-16) Shopping in San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 14, 2014