We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strange Taxis?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Strange Taxis?

Ive heard a few stories of some dodgie taxi drivers in the san fran area showing you a card with religuous / weird writing on it when in the car.

Anyone know about this or experienced it?

Is this is a big problem in the city? what happens if you get in one of these taxis?

is it innocent religuous stuff or a cult type thing?

Im planning on going to San Fran later this year and thought id ask this question to clear the air if you will.

Interested to know what people think or any experiences?

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 11
1. Re: Strange Taxis?

Never heard of it but then I have not used many cabs in recent years.

San Francisco...
reviews: 88
2. Re: Strange Taxis?

For your first post you chose a really wacky subject - I've lived in San Francisco my entire life (45 years) and have never heard of anything like this. And even if someone did hand you a card, so what?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
3. Re: Strange Taxis?

All I can say is HUH? We take taxis in the city frequently when we are visiting. They have always been reasonable, comfortable, and non-weird , with professional drivers, some chatty, some not.

I am wondering where you heard these "few stories"?

So far as I know this does not exist. Not to worry.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
4. Re: Strange Taxis?

Oh, and meant to mention. San Francisco taxis are highly regulated. I doubt is shenanigans like this would be allowed for even a short time.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
5. Re: Strange Taxis?

My name is Belomiser, member of the Grand order of the Orange Cult of the Great Giants. We will be happy to have you become a part of our err (&39eer9e2(((+%%, You will see plenty of us in Orange and black around the Streets of San Francisco. You may hear us roar once in a while but one thing we won't do is the wave. We have had huge parties and parades for the past few years and our cult is growing.

Beware of us and as some cabbies are part of our cult and on the radio you may here Grand Marshalls Fleming and Great Grand Marshall Miller who was already inducted into the Cult hall of fame. We follow every word they say. We also love Pandas and Giraffes and hate Melk Men.

Please come and experience our cult in the city of San Francisco. But beware, come only in orange and black and do NOT wear BLUE.

Because.. Together, We're GIANT!!

Edited: 10:02 pm, May 10, 2013
Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 11
6. Re: Strange Taxis?

Oh boy !

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
7. Re: Strange Taxis?

Good day Brother Oskar. The White Shark Brother Blanco sends you his regards !! I was pleased to see how the overall cult has grown with the World Cult Classic here with more Oranjemen and members from other parts of the world. We are growing.

Edited: 10:33 pm, May 10, 2013
New York City, New...
reviews: 6
8. Re: Strange Taxis?

You'll find these weirdos on Caltrain as well, at least during the summer, recognizable by their transportation of the sacred beverage in twelve-packs.

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 38
9. Re: Strange Taxis?

I take cabs all the time (2-4 times a week) and have never had this happen. I've had wierd taxi drivers (angry, talking to themselves -- or maybe a cellphone, who knows?) but I've never had one try to proselytize me. And if they did, I'd do the same thing I do to anyone else... "no thanks, I have my own beliefs."

And I work at a hotel where our guests take cabs all the time, and I've never had anyone mention this to me, either. Bad driving, round-about routes, missing items left in the cab... sure.... missionary cabbies... nope.

Edited: 10:51 pm, May 10, 2013
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
10. Re: Strange Taxis?

JM20131,

Pay no attention to them, they are just caught up in the frenzy of "baseball". While it is not religious, in an ecclesiastical sense, it may indeed be a "cult". We are probably lucky that belomiser is not driving a taxi. <grin>

Edited: 11:25 pm, May 10, 2013