We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for two day trip from San Francisco

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 46
Recommendations for two day trip from San Francisco

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I will be traveling to San Francisco at the end of June/early July and I am looking for a place to go for a two night trip away from the city. We will be going to Napa at another time so not looking for that as a choice.

Initial thoughts are Lake Tahoe, Monterrey, or Yosemite but I am eager for recommendations on these or other options.

Thank you!

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 45
1. Re: Recommendations for two day trip from San Francisco

What type of surroundings do you want -- mountains (Yosemite), coast (Big Sur, Monterey), redwoods (Mendocino), lake (Tahoe), river (Russian River)?

Boston...
2. Re: Recommendations for two day trip from San Francisco

All of those except for Russian River are appealing (because we've been there before). What are the must-dos in each location?

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
3. Re: Recommendations for two day trip from San Francisco

Monterey things to see/do:

Monterey Bay Aquarium

Cannery Row

Pacific Grove shoreline/17 Mile Drive (Pebble Beach. Lone Cypress Tree)

Carmel By The Sea/Carmel Beach/Carmel mission

Point Lobos State Reserve (A MUST!!)

Day trip down to Big Sur: Bixby Bridge, Pfeiffer Beach, Nepenthe/Phoenix Shop, McWay Falls @ Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park

Edited: 3:14 pm, May 10, 2013
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
4. Re: Recommendations for two day trip from San Francisco

If you have not been to Monterey/Carmel then I think I would do that. You are not so far away from the city that you will be wasting time traveling and it is a lovely spot. Do take a drive down the Big Sur Coast and back, but Point Lobos FIRST. I would skip the "17-mile Drive" for this.

Yosemite is four hours each way, easting up a whole day just in travel, needing its own trip, and Lake Tahoe is several hours as well. Ditto the redwoods in the north....five hours or so just to get there.

Edited: 11:43 pm, May 10, 2013
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 59
5. Re: Recommendations for two day trip from San Francisco

For more info about your potential destinations, check their forum pages. (This one is about San Francisco.) Read the relevant Top Questions & Trip Ideas.

Two nights in Yosemite NP would be lovely, but finding lodging and making plans might be more than you want. I think Monterey would be easier, if you're looking for an easy "weekend" (2 nights.)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, World Cup
reviews: 3,067
6. Re: Recommendations for two day trip from San Francisco

Yosemite is rather special. I'd consider this first if you are set on Napa next time around.

Boston...
7. Re: Recommendations for two day trip from San Francisco

Thanks for all the thoughts!

Why would finding lodging and making plans be rather difficult in Yosemite?

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
reviews: 20
8. Re: Recommendations for two day trip from San Francisco

For most of the year (namely it's "season" or summer) Yosemite books up *very* rapidly (I believe they start allowing reservations about a year in advance). I doubt you can find anything in the Park itself at this late date and may have problems with stuff outside the park. Suggest you hop over to the Yosemite forum and see what they say there about the chance of you being able to find anything close given your timeframe.

hlo

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 59
9. Re: Recommendations for two day trip from San Francisco

Here is the direct link: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g61000-i315

Official lodgings take reservations a year in advance, as hlo says. But there are still a few "official" option as well as many cabins & condos inside the Park gates and some generic motels, hostels, and B&Bs outside the Park. The lodging article linked to the Top Questions on the Yosemite page has details including drive times.

July usually has around 550,000 visitors.

10. Re: Recommendations for two day trip from San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, May 15, 2014