We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locking up a scooter?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
Locking up a scooter?

Hi all,

My hubby bought me a Razor scooter (A5) to get around easily in the city on while we are here...my question is - if I were to go shopping in a store on Market or surrounding for about 30 mins etc, would it be safe to lock it up to a post using a bike lock (through both wheels and around with a cable lock) like you would a bike? I have seen plenty of bikes locked up around the place, but no scooters - so I wasn't sure whether this is a viable option.

The scooter folds up and all, but it is larger and bulkier than the 'small' kids-like scooters, and so it is not really practical to be able to lug it around a clothes shop with me.

Any thoughts appreciated :-)

Dublin, California
reviews: 29
21. Re: Locking up a scooter?

Like I said, bikes (and scooters) are political hot potatoes in SF. There are constant run ins between bikes, cars and pedestrians, with everyone accusing everyone else of being jerks. Couple of recent high profile bikes killing pedestrians and cars killing bike riders cases did not help.

Auckland, New...
22. Re: Locking up a scooter?

Ok, thank you :-) I am always courteous and sensible, and use my common sense - it's how we do things in my country so I'll of course pay the same respect here! :-)

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
23. Re: Locking up a scooter?

You are coming to a place that is likely much more densely populated than where you are from. And there has been a tremendous increase in the amount of bike usage in the city. So now, rather than just pedestrians and cars having to co-exist, bikes have been thrown into the mix. And there has been a fair amount of residential housing construction in the city in the past 10 years so the population has increased as well.

Now, the question becomes, where does a foot propelled scooter fit? Technically (and courteously) not on sidewalks as those should be reserved for pedestrians. There are many streets (Market included) that have bike lanes. But does a scooter belong in a bike lane? From a legal perspective, yes. But keep in mind that bicyclists will be going faster than you and may not like you in their lane.

Please remember that pedestrians always have the right of way and be attentive to the silly things they do.

And yes, a guy is being charged with second degree murder for plowing down a pedestrian in a cross walk -- and many in this town would like the see the guy go down for it (myself included).

San Francisco...
reviews: 89
24. Re: Locking up a scooter?

It seems the majority of bicyclists in San Francisco pay little attention to the laws and rules of the road - ignoring stop signs, lights, pedestrians, etc. They seem to have this sense of entitlement and think the rules don't apply to them. For victims of bicycle vs pedestrian accidents, the bicyclist is rarely insured for liability - brain and head injuries are pretty common in these accidents and there have been many incidents where pedestrians have suffered severe and permanent injuries after being hit.

25. Re: Locking up a scooter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 13, 2014