We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locking up a scooter?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
Locking up a scooter?

Hi all,

My hubby bought me a Razor scooter (A5) to get around easily in the city on while we are here...my question is - if I were to go shopping in a store on Market or surrounding for about 30 mins etc, would it be safe to lock it up to a post using a bike lock (through both wheels and around with a cable lock) like you would a bike? I have seen plenty of bikes locked up around the place, but no scooters - so I wasn't sure whether this is a viable option.

The scooter folds up and all, but it is larger and bulkier than the 'small' kids-like scooters, and so it is not really practical to be able to lug it around a clothes shop with me.

Any thoughts appreciated :-)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 131
1. Re: Locking up a scooter?

sure. That would be fine. Very very practical ride if I may say so. Be Safe. We have crazy drivers and crazy bikers around and yes people who don't look for crazy drivers and crazy bikers

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 42
2. Re: Locking up a scooter?

It seems to me that it'd be difficult to get around Union Square on a Razor, given the crowds of people on the sidewalks at most hours. The Embarcadero would be really nice for this though. In either case, I think you should be fine as long as you make sure both tires are locked.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
3. Re: Locking up a scooter?

What would you do if you bought something? In addition to it being difficult to ride on a busy downtown sidewalk , it's my understanding that they are not allowed on the sidewalks (the wide path along the Embarcadero being an exception).

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
4. Re: Locking up a scooter?

Whichever......I would make sure you are insured against theft. Those who do that thing are getting ever more clever.

San Francisco Bay
reviews: 13
5. Re: Locking up a scooter?

It also depends on how sturdy your locks are. SF Bike Coalition may be a source of good information on that.

Auckland, New...
6. Re: Locking up a scooter?

I have seen MANY people riding their scooters on the sidewalk, even on Market, so if it is illegal then it doesn't seem to be adhered to? If it is too busy to ride then I can just walk it - it is more about getting down to the area and back, than getting around.

If I buy something I'd either put it in my handbag, or in a bag over my shoulder, or in a bag on the handlebars - it is only a scooter so it wouldn't affect my ability to ride. I'm not planning on buying a TV, just clothes and small items :-)

I have travel insurance, and a basic masterlock combination bike cord lock - but at the end of the day it is an $80 scooter so it wouldn't be the end of the world if something happened. I was more just wanting to know whether the concept of locking it up was plausible or ridiculous, but it seems that it should be ok, which is great!

Thanks all.

San Francisco Bay
reviews: 13
7. Re: Locking up a scooter?

We've been waiting for a crackdown on illegal bike maneuvers, especially after several people have been killed by bikers.

I wouldn't ride on the sidewalk..you could run someone over easily, and it could be me. I have a large heavy handbag and I would wack you over the head so hard, and I bet more pedestrians would join me, they are that sick of irresponsible bikers.

P.S. condolences on the loss of the America's Cup sailor. Such sad news.

Edited: 3:01 pm, May 10, 2013
Eugene, Oregon
reviews: 12
8. Re: Locking up a scooter?

Why would you not take Muni to an area and back?

Auckland, New...
9. Re: Locking up a scooter?

I don't think I could kill someone on a razor scooter?

Auckland, New...
10. Re: Locking up a scooter?

I don't think I could kill someone on a razor scooter?

I didn't think a request as to whether I can safely lock up a little scooter would generate this kind of response, but as for catching a muni - I am just talking about scooting around a few streets/blocks to get to nearby shops or cafes, so it would be redundant to catch a muni.

Sorry if me riding a scooter seems to be so offensive?