We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Muir Woods

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Muir Woods

We will be spending some time in Monterey and will have a car while there. On our way to San Fran before we turn the car in that evening we want to go to Muir Woods. The website is a bit confusing. Is Muir Beach in the park? It says that the Muir Beach parking lot will be closed for the summer so where would we park? I also need an address to put in the gps I don't see that either. I'm not interested in spending a lot of time there , just a quick visit to see the trees so if anyone can tell me where to park , which trails are best I appreciate any help. thanks! I called the phone number on the website but I just keep getting recorded messages.

16 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: Muir Woods

http://goo.gl/maps/S3828 Show drive from Union Square to Muir Woods to Muir Beach. the woods are lovely, dark and deep.. but not in Muir Beach which is near the Ocean

You can just walk into the Woods and keep walking until you want to turn around if you want to do a quick visit. that is the main trail. there is a loop which you will see and you will get a map when you get your ticket

www.nps.gov/muwo/planyourvisit/directions.htm

--

Using Computer and Internet Map

Muir Woods National Monument does not have a street address of the type used by search engines such as mapquest and yahoo maps. Because of this, map searches often direct people to the center of a zip code, which in the case of Muir Woods is several miles away. Always look at the map carefully to see if the destinations are actually labeled Muir Woods. Sometimes our address works, and sometimes it doesn't. Please be aware of this when using a map search engine.

If you are able to enter GPS coordinates into your search engine, the entrance to Muir Woods National Monument can be located at Latitude: 37 degrees 53.519 minutes (North)

Longitude: 122 degrees 34.253 minutes (West).

Edited: 10:30 am, May 02, 2013
Philadelphia...
2. Re: Muir Woods

awesome, thanks for that! I take it I will just follow signs to the parking lot? correct?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
3. Re: Muir Woods

Muir Beach is about 4 miles from Muir Woods.

If, after seeing the Woods, you continue along Muir Woods Road (rather than going back the way you came) you will hit Highway 1 in about 3 miles. Take a right onto Highway 1 north for about half a mile and you'll come to Muir Beach Overlook. This is a large overlook with a walk out to a lookout point which has a fabulous view. Worth the short detour if you have time.

To return, go south on Highway 1 which will feed you back to Tam Junction, Highway 101 and on to the Golden Gate Bridge.

------------------------

To get to Muir Woods, take Highway 101N across the GG Bridge, exit Highway 1 north to Panoramic Highway to Muir Woods. It's well signed.

Edited: 10:38 am, May 02, 2013
Philadelphia...
4. Re: Muir Woods

o great, I think we will do just that

Philadelphia...
5. Re: Muir Woods

Bel, I think I'll just print your map and use that instead of the gps , good idea?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
6. Re: Muir Woods

If you want to go to the Overlook change Destination C to <Muir Beach Overlook>.

There aren't that many roads over there so hard to take the wrong one.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
7. Re: Muir Woods

I was thinking. Muir is not on the way to SF from Monterey. Why not go to Henry Cowell State park with redwoods which is close to Santa Cruz and you can see that and then come to SF

Philadelphia...
8. Re: Muir Woods

I'm sorry. Wasn't clear. First we're going to Monterey for a few days, then Napa, then San Fran

Philadelphia...
9. Re: Muir Woods

Ok day one in San Fran done!! Go walk around some woods , ditch the car, walk around the city , relax and eat and drink!! Thanks all!

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 45
10. Re: Muir Woods

It's good to have a paper map for Muir Woods... GPS systems don't always work in that area.

Reply to: Muir Woods
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted