We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Muir Woods vs Samuel P Taylor

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
reviews: 3
Muir Woods vs Samuel P Taylor

I'm trying to decide if I can (should) combine a Point Reyes daytrip with the redwoods at Samuel P Taylor SP and free up another half day for the city in a 4 day stay or if I should do Point Reyes and Muir Woods and take a day and a half. We're not particualrly hale and hardy but I think we could combine the 2 physically. Is there a any strong advantage to Muir Woods?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
1. Re: Muir Woods vs Samuel P Taylor

You would need to get a very early start to do both in a day. Last time I did Pt. Reyes we left at 9AM and got home at 5PM and didn't do much more than the EQ trail and have lunch. (And I live very close to the Golden Gate Bridge.

It's been awhile since I spent any time at SP Taylor but it doesn't have the atmosphere of Muir. But there are redwoods.

USA
2. Re: Muir Woods vs Samuel P Taylor

I posted on the point reyes board and got the idea about combining these two there. Our plan is to leave Union SQ 6AM, Duxbury beach for tidal pools (low tide 8:15) then to eathquake trail and some time at Drakes and/or Point Reyes beach. Would it work to hit Muir Woods on the way back (4ish?)?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 131
3. Re: Muir Woods vs Samuel P Taylor

sure. Muir early AM or late evening work best as the buses are there between 9 and 4ish. so you should be fine. Since you are doing PT Reyes early, Muir on the way back is fine. You will have a great time.

New York City, New...
reviews: 9
4. Re: Muir Woods vs Samuel P Taylor

Most of SP Taylor's redwoods are second growth, as Taylor was lumberman.

Here's a link to the remaining old growth:

www.redwoodhikes.com/Taylor/Pioneer.html

If you take Sir Francis Drake Blvd to Pt Reyes you'll pass right through SP Taylor, would probably take 15 minutes to walk the old growth on the Pioneer Tree Trail.

san mateo CA
reviews: 23
5. Re: Muir Woods vs Samuel P Taylor

There is no question that Muir Woods has the more spectacular trees but it does make a one day trip very long and demanding of a very early start. Samuel Taylor is much less heavily used and one does get to go through some interesting areas past Fairfax.

I do not know the Pioneer trail in Samuel P. Taylor but the main one in Muir Woods is short and essentially flat.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 6
6. Re: Muir Woods vs Samuel P Taylor

We saw all 3 in a day although in a limited capacity. It was a great driving loop starting with Sir Frances Drake Blvd which goes through SP Taylor, we did not stop but it is a beauty drive. Then it was onto Point Reyes where we made a few stops, and then we returned on Hwy 1, Fabulous coastal drive, then stopped at Muir Woods to do the main boardwalk then it was back to the golden gate bridge.

We left SF at 10am and were back at the car rental by 6pm. We took our time in Point Reyes, Muir Woods was a bit rushed since we needed to return our car rental back in the city. It was an excellent day trip.

I guess it depends on what kind of hikes you have plannned but i hope this helps you gauge your time.

USA
7. Re: Muir Woods vs Samuel P Taylor

Thanks for all the feedback. We left SF early as planned and easily did the tidal pools, lunch in Pt Reyes Station, EQ hike and Drake's Bay. We passed Muir Woods about 4:00 on the way back to town but decided to go early the next AM and had a great time.

8. Re: Muir Woods vs Samuel P Taylor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 03, 2014