We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visited SF many times, what ELSE can I do?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Visited SF many times, what ELSE can I do?

I feel pretty familiar with all the major sites of San Francisco and for all the Bay Area for that matter and I just LOVE it. But what I want to know is what are the most off-the-beaten path things that you know in the area (can be further afield ie. wine country, tahoe).. I have heard of falcon watching and some place where you can churn butter. What else? I want to connect to local people who are doing and seeing really interesting things as I think a lot of the SF/Bay Area appeal is all about how complex the people are. Looking to do a summer trip and pack in as many of these one-of-a-kind experiences.

Be an oyster farmer for a day anyone??

Any and all suggestions welcome. Even something off the top of your head that you don't even know exists yet.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel
reviews: 2,861
1. Re: Visited SF many times, what ELSE can I do?

Did you see the Raygun Spaceship on Pier 14?

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 13
2. Re: Visited SF many times, what ELSE can I do?

Hmmm....

How about the Jelly Belly Factory tour in Fairfield ( maybe 45 minutes or so drive). See how jelly beans are made and visit the store afterwards to buy some sweets.

Edited: 11:47 pm, April 22, 2013
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
reviews: 3
3. Re: Visited SF many times, what ELSE can I do?

I didn't even know about this Sundial until a few days ago -

yelp.com/biz/…

A trip to the Lick Observatory (The drive can be a bit stomach churning) -

www.yelp.com/biz/lick-observatory-san-jose

I'm going to do this someday. I used to live near The Sutter Buttes, which loomed over everything, but never had the chance to explore them. -

www.middlemountain.org/body/hikes/index.html

Edited: 11:55 pm, April 22, 2013
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
4. Re: Visited SF many times, what ELSE can I do?

The Exploratorium has expanded and moved from the Marina to Piers 15/17. It is just opened, or will very soon and is supposed to be spectacular.

Here is a day trip to the coast and a redwood park and the wine country.....probably not as WOW as you are looking for, but I like it. :~)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c139373/San-Fr…

Have you been north on Hwy 1 above Jenner? Great ride for 8 miles high on the cliffs with hairpin turns. Rivals Big Sur. Fort Ross State Historical Park is the end point, if you don't want to go further. (Russian outpost from the early 1800's). You could add it to the above, and then ask me how to get back down without retracing your path.

I like the Rouge et Noir Cheese Factory on a lonely road between Tomales Bay and Petaluma. Try to go in the spring when the rolling hills are emerals green.

When you find some great adventures, please share them.

Edited: 12:00 am, April 23, 2013
Dublin, California
reviews: 30
5. Re: Visited SF many times, what ELSE can I do?

Join some meetup groups. I belong to one that does walking tours of the city.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 28
6. Re: Visited SF many times, what ELSE can I do?

How about visiting mazes or labyrinths? …about.com/od/…bayarealabyrinths.htm

I'd say most visitors to the bay area haven't visited museums/activities at Berkeley and Stanford. I'm more familiar with the Berkeley ones, but know Stanford has some, too (isn't there a sculpture garden or something). Berkeley Art Museum, anthropology museum, Berkeley Rep, Cal Performances. There are some computer/tech museums in San Jose and the Oakland Museum of California. Many small museums are in SoMa, which many people haven't visited.

Take some free San Francisco City Guides tours of neighborhoods in San Francisco you want to know more about.

There are many regional parks in the bay area for hiking, and even after being here for years I haven't been to them all. See bahiker.com for example.

It's too bad the blimp rides were discontinued, though they were quite expensive.

Tesla Motors is a bay area company that makes luxury electric cars--maybe they have tours or a showroom or something.

I assume you've been to Santa Cruz and Monterey. What about the mushroom festival in Morgan Hill or the Garlic Festival in Gilroy? (Depends when you visit.) There are often little festivals and other things at various times and places around the bay area.

Treasure Island hosts a flea market, I think it's the last Sat/Sun of each month (the view is the real treasure here). Angel Island is a fun place to hike, picnic, ride segways or visit the immigration museum.

I've thrown out a bunch of less common activities than the typical tourist things, anyway. Maybe some seem interesting to you.

San Francisco...
reviews: 107
7. Re: Visited SF many times, what ELSE can I do?

Newest national park pinnacles. Jack's peak has wonderful views of monterey bay. Yoda statue and Disney museum in the Presidio

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 40
8. Re: Visited SF many times, what ELSE can I do?

Pretty much any of our state or national parks locally would be interesting... the views from Mt. Diablo, Big Basin or Henry Cowell for redwoods, Angel Island.

Oooh, an overnight stay at East Brothers Island Lighthouse! (An island in the bay that is a B&B now...)

A lot of the "experiential" type of things you're talking about are very expensive, and are not offered on a regular basis. But there are some food tours that you might be interested in:

McEvoy Olive Ranch Tours - www.mcevoyranch.com/tours-and-workshops.html

Outstanding in the Field farm/producers dinners - outstandinginthefield.com/events/…

Edible Excursions - food-based walking tours of various neighborhoods - http://www.edibleexcursions.net/

Eco/fishing tour - …viator.com/en/…d651-5845MEGA

You might also subscribe to Groupon and other offerings, I think I've seen seaweed gathering/urban foraging classes.

San Francisco CA
9. Re: Visited SF many times, what ELSE can I do?

There is so much to see IN the City. Go to Mt. Davidson and hike the trails through the eucalyptus grove. Go to Ft. Funston and see if there are any hanggliders flying over the ocean. But mostly, visit the nieghborhoods, so many have a main shopping street like a small downtown, all with a unique flavor..

10. Re: Visited SF many times, what ELSE can I do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:31 pm, May 07, 2013