We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Side trip from Vegas--Sedona or SF, which is cheaper?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 3
Side trip from Vegas--Sedona or SF, which is cheaper?

Hi everyone, I'll be making this side trip alone, so a big factor in deciding has to do with which is cheaper. I'm going to post on each of the 3 forums to get opinions. This would be from the morning of May 1st to the morning of May 3rd, and flying back to NYC. Here are the 2 options I was thinking off--

1. Fly from Las Vegas to SF for the 2 nights. I found 2 decent hotels that are a couple of miles from most attractions. I have always wanted to see this city since I was little from watching Full House. I would like to see the park where the show was filmed, Alcatraz, So factoring in costs for this trip would be: Flight to SF, train to/from airport, bus/trolley to get around (though I don't mind walking a lot; I'm from NYC, after all, haha), sightseeing, food.

2. Rent a car from Las Vegas and drive to Sedona. I'm big on nature, so a lot of my sightseeing I'm assuming wouldn't cost very much. I'm interested in seeing the spiritual aspects of this town. 1 of the nights I want to go to the Jerome Grand hotel since Ghost Adventures has been there. The other day I would spend seeing the parks around Sedona. So the costs with this trip would include: rental car, gas, food, hotel.

Just looking to weigh the pros and cons. Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
1. Re: Side trip from Vegas--Sedona or SF, which is cheaper?

<<I found 2 decent hotels that are a couple of miles from most attractions>>

What are the names of these hotels? There are a few in town that are not in very good areas and we'd want you to stay away from there. These are usually ones that sound "reasonably priced."

Bus fare is $2 which includes a transfer good for 90 minutes so you could probably get up to Alamo Square (Pained Ladies, Full House) and back on one fare.

Also distances on the map can be deceiving due to the hilly nature of SF topography. While walking from downtown to Alamo Square may not look far you will be hiking up some pretty good hills.

Alcatraz should be booked directly with www.alcatrazcruises.com for best price and runs $25-30. It should also be booked prior to arriving as it always sells out.

Edited: 11:27 am, April 04, 2013
Dublin, California
reviews: 29
2. Re: Side trip from Vegas--Sedona or SF, which is cheaper?

Well Full House was taped at Warner Brothers Studios in Los Angeles. But still if you want to visit SF by all means.

New York City, New...
reviews: 3
3. Re: Side trip from Vegas--Sedona or SF, which is cheaper?

I meant to say Alamo Square. I just realized I could get a hostel in SF for pretty cheap, which would definitely help with keeping the price down. Also, might be a good idea since I'd be traveling solo and would help with meeting people to go around with.

San Francisco...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Side trip from Vegas--Sedona or SF, which is cheaper?

Hello Rach(el?):

I live in SF and have been to Sedona. While initially reading your post the two locations are so dissimilar I do understand your dilemma. San Francisco is an amazing City full of neighborhoods and unique houses and is built on 7 hills. It's a great walking city but as per the earlier reply it can be deceiving especially when time is an issue. Alamo Square is a nice quick visit from most locations as it is center in The City. Be careful of some of those hostels and cheap hotels. If they are in The Tenderloin that is drug and prostitute central. This is a friendly town where it's not hard to meet people.

Sedona is peaceful and spiritual, a total opposite experience. You will be taken by the scenery and it's probably more of a one day trip.

Good luck and let me know if you need any more help - I run through Alamo Square and by painted ladies regularly.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 16
5. Re: Side trip from Vegas--Sedona or SF, which is cheaper?

Well I have been to both and while I think the Southwest is awesome and wouldn't mind living there specifically New Mexico we loved our previous 2 visits to SF and will be back in june for a few more days on the way home from Maui.

Sedona is nice don't get me wrong but we enjoyed SF way more.

Personally I think you should just skip Vegas and visit SF.

6. Re: Side trip from Vegas--Sedona or SF, which is cheaper?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 06, 2014