We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lunch stop between san francisco and pismo beach

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jersey
reviews: 1
lunch stop between san francisco and pismo beach

We are driving for an over night stop at Pismo beach from san francisco en route to LA. We shall be travelling on the 101 as both myself and my daughter suffer travel sickness and I believe route 1 is not exactly straight! I would love to stop around Monterey for a couple of hours but am concerned that traffic/parking might be difficult on a sunday in august, Anyone any suggestions? It would be lovely to see a bit of the coast.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
reviews: 45
1. Re: lunch stop between san francisco and pismo beach

Hello, xaw8, and welcome to the San Francisco forum.

You've posted your where to stop for lunch question in the San Francisco forum. . . which is all about that lovely City by the Bay and all its attractions, lodgings and restaurants within SF itself. You might want to repost your question to the California state forum here tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29-Califor… which covers travel within California, as well as the Monterey forum here tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g32737-i159-Monter… which is for Monterey specifically.

I'll still take a shot at your question. You can drive through Monterey's Cannery Row area without stopping, and drive slowly along the shoreline to the entrance to 17 Mile Drive in Pacific Grove/Pebble Beach (~$10 fee). More great views of the coast with plenty of parking on a Summer Sunday. The roads are meant to be taken slowly and leisurely, and are not twisty or anything that would in my opinion cause car sickness. Exit 17 Mile Drive and enter Carmel and go downtown. Parking should not be too difficult to find, and there are a variety of sandwich shops/delicatessens and restaurants to choose from. Streets there are in a square/rectangular grid, though there are hills downsloping to the ocean. Getting back to US Route 101 from Carmel is via straight type roads, (definitely don't take California State Route 1/Pacific Coast Highway due to your car sickness predisposition), and US Route 101 itself is pretty much straight going south to Pismo Beach and beyond.

Enjoy your travels with us.

Jersey
2. Re: lunch stop between san francisco and pismo beach

Thank you. I have reposted the question but your info sounds like a good idea.

reviews: 740
3. Re: lunch stop between san francisco and pismo beach

Roy's on 17 Mile Drive is nice for lunch. In downtown Carmel, Demetra Cafe is one of our favorites. :)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 60
4. Re: lunch stop between san francisco and pismo beach

I also suffer from motion sickness. IF you are doing the driving it doesn't usually affect you at all .

In addition one can take non scrip meds before the drive so you won't be ill.

All pharmacies carry them. Meclizine is the generic and you can also find it in Dramamine II the non drowsy formula. It really helps people like us to enjoy driving trips!!

Jersey
5. Re: lunch stop between san francisco and pismo beach

Great thanks will definitely get some. Will be good for our plane trip from LV to grand canyan too that I was feeling anxious about!

6. Re: lunch stop between san francisco and pismo beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 06, 2014