We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is the best time to spend a week in SF?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
reviews: 1
When is the best time to spend a week in SF?

My wife and I are in our 50s celeberation 30th anniversary. Neve been before.

We wish to spend a week there spending a couple of days in SF, go to Monterey, Carmel and doing the Alcatraz tour as well as Napa. When is the best time to do this trip? Summer? I have heard Sept and Oct are great times. Anything else we should try to do for the week.

All suggestions much appreciated.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
reviews: 4
1. Re: When is the best time to spend a week in SF?

I would come in May. It's between the rainy winter season and foggy summer season, it's warm, and you don't have the big conventions that drive up prices during Sept/Oct.

If you like sailing, the America's Cup will occur during September.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 27
2. Re: When is the best time to spend a week in SF?

I agree with Simba. While September and October are most likely to have glorious weather, they are the time for many conventions, festivals, and America's cup (this year). They are more crowded and hotel rooms come at premium prices with the extra high demand. Last year we saw many complaints about rooms being double or more their usual prices or people had to stay far away from the center to find less expensive rooms. I don't think this fall will be any better.

If money isn't an object then September or October will be your best weather. Otherwise May can often be nice, though sometimes we get some fog then.

Summer isn't bad, though foggy and cool. Many people who come from hot summer climates feel relieved for a little while until they realize they'll need to carry a jacket everywhere in the middle of summer. If you get away from the coast the temperatures are higher, though.

Our rainy season is the traditional winter months into early spring (though we got very little this year). November can also be nice but a little unpredictable for a few early winter rains. Hotel rates are likely to be a bit better, but the days are shorter so late spring or early fall are probably more ideal.

If you decide to come in the fall, be sure to look at hotel rates and book in advance.

3. Re: When is the best time to spend a week in SF?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 02, 2014