We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electronic Tolls

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eastbourne, England
reviews: 209
Electronic Tolls

I have just discovered that Golden Gate bridge now only works on Electronic toll, which can be paid in advance by credit card. www.goldengate.org Are there any other roads / bridges in SF area which only have electronic tolls?

Edited: 8:22 am, March 28, 2013
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
1. Re: Electronic Tolls

The only totally Electronic Toll system is the Golden Gate Bridge...

Alas, California is VERY confusing in regards to Toll Bridges, Toll Roads and Express Lanes, here is the detailed list of rules...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c186915/Califo…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 132
2. Re: Electronic Tolls

The GG bridge is the Only one in the BAY Area for electronic tolls. All the Bay Area bridges have tolls that can be paid by cash.

The other bridge the Bay Bridge allows cash and Golden Gate Bridge does not. There other bridges also allow cash.

To the PP, the question was about the SF Bay Area and not about the rest of CA. But you can go around the rest of the state and pay NO toll Just stay off toll roads and express lanes

Edited: 10:00 am, March 28, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
reviews: 72
3. Re: Electronic Tolls

Please provide some clarification for a Dumb Texan......

OK, I followed your advice and read all of the hyperlinks,,,,Now, I am more confused than ever . I am flying in to Oakland, renting a car, then driving to Yosemite. What are the expected tolls for this part of my journey? I will drive back to SF at the end of my trip for 2 nights,then return the car to Oakland airport. What are the tolls for this portion and what is the best way to pay for them?

San Francisco...
reviews: 3
4. Re: Electronic Tolls

gail-r $8-$12 dollars total for the bay bridge. if crossing twice. be in the middle lanes that take cash. roll down window and hand over the money.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
5. Re: Electronic Tolls

>>I am flying in to Oakland, renting a car, then driving to Yosemite. What are the expected tolls for this part of my journey? I will drive back to SF at the end of my trip for 2 nights,then return the car to Oakland airport. What are the tolls for this portion and what is the best way to pay for them?<<

We don't have toll *roads* in Northern California on your route, nor hardly any on *any* route.

You will pay a toll on the Bay Bridge between Oakland and San Francisco each way. That is all. Rachel gave you that information.

You will not be crossing the Golden Gate Bridge unless you choose to go out of the city that way during your visit. That is the one which needs electronic payment.

Ignore the links you read. They were written for So. California and do not really apply up here. Yes, they are very confusing. They should be edited for those who will be traveling in that part of the State.

Have a good trip and enjoy your visit.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
6. Re: Electronic Tolls

There is one Express Lane in the Bay area, and more are coming. These are lanes on the left side of the road, and should be avoided if you are a solo driver in Northern California (rules are different in Los Angeles County).

The link in post #1 talks about each region/county of the state, so if all you plan to do is visit the Bay area, just read the sections that deal with the Toll Bridges in the area, and pay attention to the Rental Car Rules, especially if you will drive over the Golden Gate Bridge.

So basically the first half of the "California" Top Questions talks about the Bay Area and terms in general, then Southern California, and at the end, basic Carpool lanes throught the entire state.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
7. Re: Electronic Tolls

hi darkbeer,

It would help to know where this one Express Lane is in the Bay Area. I am assuming that means that it is a toll lane? Also, please, where do you pay the toll?

I assume you really mean a toll lane, called "Express" and not the usual "Diamond", or car pool lanes, which are free but require a minimum number in the car, usually two?

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
8. Re: Electronic Tolls

Here is some info about the current Express Lane in Northern California, and planned additional lanes.

http://www.680expresslane.org/Home.asp

http://www.vta.org/expresslanes/

mtc.ca.gov/projects/express_lanes/intro.htm

Edited: 8:07 pm, June 22, 2013
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
9. Re: Electronic Tolls

And FYI, there are two types of Express Lanes (HOT) Lanes, in LA County and Orange Country, you NEED a FasTrak Transponder to enter them, in San Diego and the Bay Area, you can enter Express Lanes if you are a carpool without a FasTrak Transponder.

Due to Federal Mandates of having Carpool Lanes be at least 45 MPH during Rush periods (at least 90% of the time), more and more Carpool lanes will be converted to Express Lanes and will require either 3+ people in a car and more than likely a FasTrak Transponder to use them.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
reviews: 4
10. Re: Electronic Tolls

You do NOT pay a toll on the Bay Bridge each way. You only pay a toll coming into SF.

Here are the rates for Bay Bridge tolls -

Weekday Peak Autos: $6.00

Weekday Peak Carpools: $2.50

Weekday Non-Peak Autos: $4.00

Weekends: $5.00

There are no toll roads between Oakland and Yosemite.

Edited: 9:22 pm, June 22, 2013