We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help in Planning San Francisco trip

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Help in Planning San Francisco trip

I am planning trip to USA with my parents and brothers.

We will reach San Francisco on the afternoon of 31st May. and planning to reach LA by 11am-12pm on 5th June,

I would like to get help in planning itinerary .

My Plan :

31st may evening and 1stJune :

0. Fisherman's Wharf

1. Golden Gate Bridge

2. Sausalito

3. Muir Woods

4. Stinson Beach

2nd June :Carmel / Monterrey

Leave in the morning and head to Monterrey Aquarium, roam around town, and have lunch

Afternoon/evening in Carmel. Roam around.

Overnight in Carmel

3rd June :17 mile drive and Big Sur

Morning - Breakfast and 17 mile drive

Continue South along Route 1 to Big Sur. Do a very short hike (15 minutes) McWay Waterfall Trail

Late afternoon snack / tea at Ventana Inn

4th June : Drive to Santa Barbara or directly to LA.

Would like to know if my route plan is correct or it can be planned in any other better way?

San Francisco Bay
reviews: 13
1. Re: Help in Planning San Francisco trip

Your plan has left you seeing very little in San Francisco. It deserves more time than you've given it.

If I were you, I'd spend more time on my 2nd day IN SAN FRANCISCO, not out of it - Muir Beach, and Stinson Beach are nice, but definitely San Francisco is more spectacular. If you took a Bay cruise, you could see the Golden Gate Bridge up close from the water. How about riding the cable cars up over our steep hills?

Eating out -- our restaurants are renowned and there are 3,500 of them!

How old are you and your brothers? What are your interests?

Carmel to Santa Barbara in one day is really really lots of driving.

Is there any chance you have more time than what you've shown us?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
2. Re: Help in Planning San Francisco trip

Agree with NortherCalifGal. Except for 0, and the GG bridge, you don't have anything to see in SF. You can do Redwood trees enroute to monterey at Henry Cowell. Are you planning to stay at the Ventana Inn ?

This is the SF forum for your SF and Bay area plans but the rest is not a SF trip. You may want to read the top questions on the california forum for Hwy 1 ideas on how to cover the central coast and where to stay

Melbourne, Australia
3. Re: Help in Planning San Francisco trip

Thanks NorthernCalifGal & belomiser,

We are between age range of 30-34, we really like to try out new restaurants,cuisines & cafes. We can also do bit of a hike but due to parent's I think can't hike more than 3-4kms,which is not much useful.

So mostly we will be interested in sight seeing and short hikes to see waterfall etc.

I can keep 31st evening,1st & 2nd June in SF .

Start our drive to LA on 3rd June ,stay overnight somewhere on 3rd June and reach LA on the night of 4th June.

On 3rd June we can also do Redwood trees enroute to monterey at Henry Cowell.

I will book accommodation once route is confirmed so not sure about Ventana Inn yet.

What do you think?

Monterey Bay...
reviews: 37
4. Re: Help in Planning San Francisco trip

Are you going other places while in the US or coming from Australia to see the CA for this short period of time? If your next stop is Las Vegas for 6 nights, then you have lots of days to redistribute.

Melbourne, Australia
5. Re: Help in Planning San Francisco trip

I am coming for brother's graduation ceremony. So I will be covering NY,Niagara,Boston and then last one week in CA. I have to do Las Vegas and Arizona during my next visit. I will be in CA again in next couple of years.

6. Re: Help in Planning San Francisco trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 30, 2014