We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East and West - reco needed!

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manama, Bahrain
reviews: 20
East and West - reco needed!

Hi,

We are a 30-year old couple traveling to the U.S. for 17 days in early August. So far, we have shortlisted San Francisco, Yosemite, Las Vegas on the west and New York on the east. (We are covering both coasts since we want to see the west and we have to fly through East anyway!) We love to see varied landscapes in one trip so that it doesn't get boring. We love to wander on the streets, visit good beaches, enjoy a good nightlife and just relish the weather and watch the world go by. Not into museums and galleries at all. My questions are:

1. Should we fit in LA as well since we are going to California?

2. SFO beaches in August would be cold? Where can we go to take a dip?

3. Any other city that you can recommend in California or near New York? We could have taken the Bahamas cruise but read that it's Hurricane season in August.

We are yet in the process of booking tickets. So need just a broad overview as of now. Would be devouring the forums at a later stage. Please advice! Thanks a ton :)

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
1. Re: East and West - reco needed!

If you want to see varied landscapes I suggest to make a tour in the south west like along to coast to LA, to Las Vegas and back to SF via Death Valley and Yosemite NP. And maybe even add Grand Canyon NP. This already will eat up most of your 17 days. I'd rent a car for this roundtrip. No car needed in NY but to only stretch the surface I already recommend at least 3 full days for NY. That will make this trip rather tights. Pacific waters never are warm but for beaches I'd check the stretches north and south of Los Angeles.

Tet

San Francisco
reviews: 23
2. Re: East and West - reco needed!

Beaches will most likely be too cold in SF to swim unless you have a wet suit.

I would definitely visit LA - there's a lot to do there even outside the touristy stuff.

I think you need at least 5 days in NY, but it's going to be hot and humid in August.

Not sure how long you have planned in Las Vegas, but for me 2 days is enough. And I wouldn't want to drive there and through Death valley in August--it'll be brutally hot!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
3. Re: East and West - reco needed!

Not sure you really want to be driving in the desert in summer?

I'd suggest San Francisco for 3 days and then get a car and drive to Yosemite, stay at least 2nights ,drive to Monterey and then do the coastal Big Sur drive so let's give that another 3 nights drop the car in LA and fly to Las Vegas. You can get an internal flight there. Southwest Airlines has many flights but you can only see them on the Southwest web site. Other than that you can also check Jet Blue, Virgin American and then any other airline you wish. Spend 2nights in Las Vegas and fly onto NYC for the rest of your trip.

You can see/do everything since the USA is a BIG country!!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
4. Re: East and West - reco needed!

It's very hot in Death Valley (and Las Vegas) allright but millions have survived in summer and you''re used to the heat coming from Bahrain.You won't be doing hiking in DV in summer. . Here's link for the drive between Las Vegas and Yosemite.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182361/Califo…

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
5. Re: East and West - reco needed!

Just realized that the last line of my post is written INcorrectly!

It should read you canNOT see/do everything.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 56
6. Re: East and West - reco needed!

Hi nst4

I recommend that you go up one level to the California state forum. Read some of the Top Questions & Itineraries on that page (upper right.) Repost if you want more planning help for your time in the state.

Also read the info on the Top Questions on the city/destinations you plan to visit. You'll find tips for finding lodging (very tough in Yosemite!) and what to do (buy Alcatraz tickets from the official vendor 90 days in advance.) The L.A. forum page is loaded with ideas.

This is the page about San Francisco, so the Top Q here are all about SF.

Manama, Bahrain
reviews: 20
7. Re: East and West - reco needed!

Thankyou for all your recommendations. We will probably drop Yosemite for we have driving problems in the mountains.

We are now looking into San Diego or Miami as well. Miami will be too humid and there is this problem of mosquitoes that I'm reading.

Ah, actually USA is so vast and you can't see everything you want to in one trip. It's so hard to prioritize!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
8. Re: East and West - reco needed!

Yes, mosquitoes love rain and standing water in Florida in august.

9. Re: East and West - reco needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 30, 2014