We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tentative plans and looking for input on logistics and time

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Huntsville, Alabama
reviews: 1
Tentative plans and looking for input on logistics and time

Spring Break tentative schedule for travel for myself and college age daughter, but I am questioning my scheduling since I am not familiar with the area and what is in close proximity to the other and the best schedule for logistics. Also, I don't want to overdo it with too much crammed in and then we feel like we are just checking the boxes.

I am hoping you can give me input and suggestions. The days are flexible, except for travel to Monterey as reservations are made and paid for. We are staying at Hotel Adagio and Le Meridien at close of trip. Thanks again!

Day one – Sunday

• North Beach – breakfast at Mamas or lunch at Molinari

• North Beach area

• Filbert steps to Coit Tower

Pier 39

• Fisherman's Wharf – pretty much all the same, touristy. Possibility? Pier 45's Museum of the City of SF, the Maritime Museum and Hyde Street Pier.

Food ideas-

• North Beach – eat at Sotto Mare maybe for dinner, seafood, reasonable

• North Beach - Liguria Bakery – get there early

Day 2 Monday- is this a full day?

• Cable car? Lombard Street

For the cable car, don’t miss the Powell-Ryde line and especially the crooked block of Lombard St (east of Hyde) where perspectives and slope is the most fun.

• ride bikes along bayside, over GG to Sausalito (weather permitting) - any great spots in Sausalito ?

Bike rental from

• Bike and Roll or

• Blazing saddles

Suggested…In Sausalito, Poggio is one of my favorite restaurants, as the food is quite good. No views, but that's the trade-off. Also Fish, just north of downtown is a good "fish shack" -- picnic tables, cash only, but sustainable seafood in a casual environment.

• Ferry back – check on times.

Day 3- Tuesday

Golden Gate Park and visit to De Young – The Girl with the Pearl Earring.

To do: Order tickets in advance for De Young.

• Dinner at Restaurant Gary Danko at 530pm

Day 4 Wed-

• pick up rental car

• Ocean Beach

Lands End trail

• Lunch at Cliff House?

• leave SF head south to Monterey early afternoon?

Day 5 Thursday- Monterey

Day 6 Friday-

• head north with a stop at Henry Cowell.

• Return to SF? Arrive mid afternoon ish

Alcatraz night tour- depart 630

Day 7 – Saturday

• Chinatown- take a walking tour with city guides and eat dinner?

Asian Art Museum – terra cotta warriors.

To do: Order tickets in advance.

• Ferry Bldg Marketplace – lots of places for food

Day 8 – Sunday (Easter)

• Brunch at Nopa

We have most of the afternoon before departing SFO

Additional suggestions?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: Tentative plans and looking for input on logistics and time

Have you mapped it out ? You can take the cable car or walk thru Chinatown to North Beach and then take the bus to Coit tower or walk up and then get to FW. Perhaps a couple of hours to do that and then add time for The Museums

You can do the ride to Sausalito in about 4 hours and have lunch and get back in a hour or two. You will have time on day 2 as well

Your last day, are you staying in Napa or just driving for the day and then driving south to SFO?

Sorry but cannot remember the other parts as I am on an iPad but I think it is ok and great to not cram too much in a day and just explore or find other things to do or just relax

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
reviews: 20
2. Re: Tentative plans and looking for input on logistics and time

With the caveat that I didn't examine your plans in great detail, overall it looks doable. Here are a few comments and/or things you might want to consider:

1. You might consider the Citypass. It combines admission to (6?) "attractions" with a 7 day MUNI Passport (good on all MUNI transit, including the Cable Cars). Looks to me like you've got enough of the things it covers to make it worthwhile. My rule of thumb is that if you do 1/2 of them you break even and if you do them all you can save some major money. Not sure of all the details, but there has been talk that it will substitute the Monterey Aquarium for the (normal) Exploratorium (while it's closed for relocation?). Also, you can get it with "an Alcatraz Option," but believe you have to purchase it directly from the Alcatraz people. You can find details on the Citypass website (www.citypass.com)

2. I agree that Day 2 seems a little light, but with your bike trip you probably will want more slack. You might also want to shift Fisherman's Wharf to this day as you can wander the area (which is about what I think it's worth) before or after your bike ride. On the other hand doing the Maritime Museum (which I think is worth it) will take more time.

3. Might shift Chinatown to the day when you're doing North Beach (as they're pretty much right next to each other).

4. You've got GG Park as a single day. If all you're planning to do is the De Young, that's probably more than you need, but there is certainly more to do/see and it could take a whole day. (You could also add the Haight or another adjacent neighborhood to that day.)

Beyond that, as I said, it looks good to me and I don't think you've got so much that you'll find yourself in a "check the box" mode.

Hope this helps,

hlo

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
3. Re: Tentative plans and looking for input on logistics and time

Agree with above. Shift Fisherman's Wharf stuff to the day you bike ride since you have to get to the Wharf anyway to rent bikes.

You could also rent bikes in GG Park or take a Segway tour. The Park is so large that it is hard to get around to see it all on foot.

Girl with the Pearl -- docent tours are 11:30 and 2:30. There is a limit of 25 so get there at least an hour early if you want to sign up. Regardless what time your ticket is for you can enter the exhibit with the tour.

Land's End Trail -- In case you haven't gotten enough culture, the "Treasures of the Louvre" exhibit at the Legion of Honor has been extended until March 31. The Legion of Honor is just 1/2 mile up the hill from where the trail comes out on El Camino del Mar in Lincoln Park. Tickets are not timed.

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 41
4. Re: Tentative plans and looking for input on logistics and time

I'm pretty sure Molinari is closed on Sundays...

>>Pier 45's Museum of the City of SF, the Maritime Museum and Hyde Street Pier.<<

Good choices for Wharf tourism... representing the history of the Wharf and the City, not the carnival-like attractions.

On Saturday, do the Ferry Building first, as the farmer's market portion closes around 1 pm.

Do you have your Nopa reservations already? If not, do it now, if it's not already too late! Same with the Alcatraz tour.

Huntsville, Alabama
5. Re: Tentative plans and looking for input on logistics and time

Wow, such great suggestions. Thanks so much. I will move the schedule around as suggested and study the map more closely. Is there anything we are missing?

Yes, we have reservations for Nopa on Easter Sunday. That is our last day and we may be looking for something to do. Also, reservations for Restaurant Gary Danko. Would you stick with that or do you have a better suggestion? I read strong recommendations for the Waterbar. I will look into the Citypass. I thought we would see more of GG Park than just the "Girl". suggestions?

Thanks again. Counting the days!

Huntsville, Alabama
6. Re: Tentative plans and looking for input on logistics and time

I'm now wondering if we are going to have too much time on our hands.

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 41
7. Re: Tentative plans and looking for input on logistics and time

You'll always be able to find something to do in San Francisco!

I'd keep Gary Danko, it's a fabulous restaurant, I think more special than Waterbar.

As far as Golden Gate Park, there are lots of aspects to enjoy... museums such as the California Academy of Sciences, botanical attractions like the Japanese Tea Garden, Arboretum, Conservatory of Flowers, various outdoor dells and gardens, scenic attractions such as waterfalls, Stowe Lake (where you can rent paddle boats), the bison paddock.

Maybe you can take the Segway tour of the park? It's really a fun way to explore the area.

And Blazing Saddles and Bike and Roll are the same company now, I believe. So I don't think it makes a difference....

8. Re: Tentative plans and looking for input on logistics and time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, March 21, 2014