We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scared of driving in the city can anyone advise

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grimsby, United...
Scared of driving in the city can anyone advise

Hello,

I’m hoping someone can help. My husband and I are planning a trip, flying into Seattle from the UK in June to spend 4 days in settle, 5 days to drive down central Oregon spend 4 days in San Francisco and then drive back up the Oregon coast 4 days and spend another 2 days in Seattle before we fly back to the UK. My question is that we are both very scared to drive in a city. are there any hotels that are easy to reach without driving into the centre of the city? Any advice and suggestions will be most appreciated.

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 38
11. Re: Scared of driving in the city can anyone advise

As previous posters have mentioned, there's no need to have a car in either Seattle or San Francisco. Hire it for your coastal drive, return it in SF and fly back to Seattle. If you do end up with a car, SF is a very compact city, so most of the areas we frequently recommend for guests are convenient to public transit -- Union Square, Embarcadero, Fisherman's Wharf, Lombard Street. (If you don't have a car, there is less reason to stay on Lombard Street, though...)

Keep in mind that we Americans can be very intimidated about driving in the UK... "wrong" side of the road, roundabouts, zebra crossings... all of that seems very mysterious and scary. Once you get used to it, however, it's easy! The same will be true here.

The only thing you might do is find something that lists common road rules in the US. I don't know why rental car companies don't give these out. In California, you can generally turn right on a red light if there is no traffic coming from your left. If you come to an intersection with four stop signs (not lights), the car that approached the intersection first continues first; in case of a tie, the car to the right goes first. You can Google for images of stop lights, pedestrian crossings, common road signs, etc. That might also ease your mind a little bit to know what you're going to face.

San Francisco Bay
reviews: 13
12. Re: Scared of driving in the city can anyone advise

SF SusanW has summed up the best advice so far. No. 3 and No. 6 started it, and Susan finished it.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
13. Re: Scared of driving in the city can anyone advise

Here's travel article about driving in the USA.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g191-c1867/United-Sta…

San Francisco...
reviews: 3
14. Re: Scared of driving in the city can anyone advise

i understand that you are scared to drive. and it's okay :)

once on the GGB you go through the toll booth - you'll have to research about the fastrak payment.

after the toll booth, stay in the middle(left)lane. (the right one will have you exit to the south of the city).

those lanes will turn INTO lombard street - so need to worry about an exit.

if your hotel is on the right side, odd numbers, turn right into the property.

if your hotel on the left side, even numbers, go past the property, make 3 right turns to get you back to lombard, then turn left on to lombard. park in hotel. leave car for the length of your stay. enjoy SF. when you leave head out of lot, make right turn and it takes you onto the bridge. easy peasy.

Grimsby, United...
15. Re: Scared of driving in the city can anyone advise

Thank you to all you lovely people on this forum for your replies, your suggestions and advice is extremely useful and very much appreciated Once again THANK YOU ALL

16. Re: Scared of driving in the city can anyone advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 22, 2014