We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closest place kids can play with snow in 01/02/2014?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 3
Closest place kids can play with snow in 01/02/2014?

Hi,

We are a family from Rio de Janeiro flying for the first time to Las Vegas (from 12/27 to 01/01/14) and San Francisco (from 01/02 to 01/13/14) and my kids of 6 and 8 years are desperate to play for the first time with snow. Where is the closest place from San Francisco by car that I could take them to a one or two days trip to play with snow? I have looked at yosemite park, Lake tahoe and Sequoia park at internet, but we are worried about possibly driving with snow and road conditions. Besides, kids don´t have patience in long trips. Many thanks to sugestions.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
reviews: 4
1. Re: Closest place kids can play with snow in 01/02/2014?

It might be easier to go to Mt. Charleston near Las Vegas.The closest place to SF with snow would be about 3 hours away.

Rio de Janeiro
reviews: 3
2. Re: Closest place kids can play with snow in 01/02/2014?

Thanks Simba_8. I thought that would be no snow at that time near Vegas.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
3. Re: Closest place kids can play with snow in 01/02/2014?

Tahoe Donner has a snow play area (entrance includes tubes and sleds). As Simba says, it's about 3 hours away but on a very good road that, except in the middle of a snow storm, is always kept clear. Donner is also at the top of the pass so you aren't far into snow country.

http://www.tahoedonner.com/snowplay/

sf
4. Re: Closest place kids can play with snow in 01/02/2014?

There are generally a few snow parks close to Tahoe where you can pay for a day ticket , where they tire/tube to go down the hill, and have a rope to pull you up. There is one thing you need to be aware of, there's no guranty of snow when you'll be here, most likely, but our Winters the last few years have been very unpredictable.

Closest good places are in th Tahoe area, near Sugar Bowl, right of highway 80, then up near Boreal, on Donner Summit. Cheapest is to just buy a saucer/sled in one of the local stores in Truckee or Tahoe and just find a hill.

Boa Viagem!

san mateo CA
reviews: 23
5. Re: Closest place kids can play with snow in 01/02/2014?

I would suggest someplace along highway 108 east of Sonora. Physically it is closer but road time may not be much different. I once did make the drive in 2 hours but I was forced to break every speed limit along the way.

I find this a much more interesting drive than I-80 (highway 40 to me) and it has ample opportunities to stop at real towns along the way.

Slightly lower elevations than where others have suggested so one may have to go a bit farther but that time of year it should not be farther than Long Barn. There is only one snow park that I know of and if it still exists it is a bit funky but that should not be a problem, if all you want to do is slide down a hill and throw snowballs at each other. Just find a place to pull off the road.

California
reviews: 7
6. Re: Closest place kids can play with snow in 01/02/2014?

there is a business called Leland at snowplay.com where it is all snowplay. It has good reviews on Yelp and other sites. East of Sonora.

san mateo CA
reviews: 23
7. Re: Closest place kids can play with snow in 01/02/2014?

If I may simba_8 has a better idea if what he suggests is closer than 3 hours away. Absent a freak occurrence it will be a minimum of a 3+ hour drive from San Francisco to snow.

8. Re: Closest place kids can play with snow in 01/02/2014?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 am, May 10, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 57
9. Re: Closest place kids can play with snow in 01/02/2014?

Is everyone missing the fact that the OP has likely never driven in snow? And learning how to drive in snow in the Donner Pass or Lake Tahoe is a BAD idea!

San Francisco Bay
reviews: 13
10. Re: Closest place kids can play with snow in 01/02/2014?

D: at the Coast--if it not snowing, Highway 80 is totally clear and access roads are also cleared quickly. Chances are the snow will not cause any driving problems. Checking weather reports and local traffic reports is always recommended.