We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in Sausilito?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 58
Where to go in Sausilito?

We are thinking of a ferry ride to Sausilito, maybe walking from the ferry. What are some of the scenic highlights we could/should look for? We'll research further on TA for places to eat for lunch which have a view and are value for money, albeit that sight outweighs taste.

Many thanks

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
1. Re: Where to go in Sausilito?

Sausalito isn't that large and the scenic bits are right along the main street: Bridgeway.

If you walk back, don't take Alexander Ave the entire way, branch off onto East Road (to the left as the road forks) and enter Fort Baker. Perhaps stop in at the Farley Bar at Cavallo Point for a break.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
2. Re: Where to go in Sausilito?

If you don't mind riding a bike, then the most popular route is to bike the bridge and go down to Sausalito, check it out and have a meal and then take the ferry back. Sal and others have written some articles posted in the section of the Top Questions under Biking in SF

Also urbanspoon and yelp are better restaurant suggestions than TA

For views, Trident, Scoma's and Fish are some options. They are not cheap

sf
3. Re: Where to go in Sausilito?

As Sal & Belo have said Biking is the best way and Sausalito is really tiny. Its a really cute town ,and a great place to walk on a sunny day but caters a lot to the tourist trade. Restaurants for the most part right near the Ferry are expensive, the farther North you get away from the Main shopping area the better, and the restaurant will be more varied.

Sal love your new avatar!

Edited: 3:37 pm, March 11, 2013
San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 38
4. Re: Where to go in Sausilito?

Sausalito has great views of the bay, little boutiques and art galleries, so just wander along Bridgeway and the adjacent streets.

If view trumps food, then Scoma's or Spinnaker will work. If you want good food (but no view), then Poggio is very good. If you want to walk further north (it would be about 2 miles, I think), Fish will give you both good views and food (cash only, it's a fish shack with picnic tables and no full table service, but good fresh sustainable seafood).

san mateo CA
reviews: 23
5. Re: Where to go in Sausilito?

The main street in Sausalito is full of shops which in my opinion are mostly overpriced tourist traps. As others have attested the restaurants seem to be also.

The bay model is fun if you are interested in hydraulic modelling and how a large bay works but it is a bit of a walk from the ferry. If you do take the suggestion to go eat at Fish I believe it is quite close.

Often when I was in Sausalito I would check out one of the harbors, interesting to see the variety of boats moored there. There are a couple of places where there are stairs that go up from Bridgeway to different streets above it. There are some good views from there especially the one to Atwood Ave which starts just before Bridgeway turns west. There is a long boardwalk which starts where Bridgeway turns west on the bay side of the street that takes you to a restaurant once owned by Sally Stanford who prior had been a Madam. It has been closed for quite a while but supposedly it will reopen after some remodeling not sure what actually will be there.

The no name Bar on Bridgeway (identified only by the sign that says Bar over the door) and Smitty's on Caledonia used to be fun but it has been many years since I have been in either and neither has a view. Caledonia itself is interesting because it has pretty much become all that remains of Sausalito that does not cater to tourists.

Check out the tiny park on Bridgeway directly in front of you when you get off the ferry. For many years it was fenced off because the town got tired of hippies hanging out there.

Confirm this but I believe the Golden Gate ferries are slightly cheaper than the Blue and Gold ones.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 58
6. Re: Where to go in Sausilito?

Thank you all for these tips. As suggested early, sight trumps taste, so we are more interested in what we can see rather than spending time eating.

7. Re: Where to go in Sausilito?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 13, 2014