We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel fairly close to San Francisco State University

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
reviews: 28
Hotel fairly close to San Francisco State University

I am traveling with my son to San Francisco in April for the open house at SFSU. My son has been accepted for this Fall. Please can someone help me find a 4 star hotel that is close to the university, or where we can take a short ride by train, bus or cab. I want to know if the university is in the center of San Francisco or in the suburbs. On the SFSU website, it lists some hotels close by, but they are all 1 or 2 star motels. We are staying for 3 days, so we have time to do sightseeing, but mainly want to look around the university area to see if my son would like to be there for the next 4 years. Thank you.

California
reviews: 12
1. Re: Hotel fairly close to San Francisco State University

I think you have hit on an issue for a lot of parents who need lodging nearby. It's not in the heart of SF.

For your visit it makes sense to be near the school so he can really checkout what's nearby, but there isn't the kind of lodging you want in that area.

Edited: 6:53 pm, March 06, 2013
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
2. Re: Hotel fairly close to San Francisco State University

Take a look at the map. SFSU is on the far southwest corner of the city. There are no 4* hotels in that area.

Downtown is more towards the northeast corner. However, any nice hotel downtown, financial district or along the Embarcadero will be close to Muni Metro (the subway).

From one of the downtown underground stations (Embarcadero, Montgomery or Powell St) catch the M-Oceanview to SFSU. There is a stop right at the University entrance. The trip is about 30 minutes.

www.511.org can assist with trip planning and schedules.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
3. Re: Hotel fairly close to San Francisco State University

Agree with Suzie and Sal.

Well SFSU is at the South West end of the city. The univ is IN the city and not in the suburbs. here is a map to show you where the univ is and how you can get there from Union Square where the bulk of the 4-5 star hotels are. You can take the M Oceanview Muni Line under market street all the way there and there is no transfer needed

http://goo.gl/maps/T5OVX

Will you be having a car which normally is not necessary in SF. Another option is to stay at the Inn at the Presidio in the Presidio and take the 28 Muni Bus there. But again with a car it will be about 7 miles to this Inn and about 10 or so miles to Union Square

Edited: 7:03 pm, March 06, 2013
San Diego...
4. Re: Hotel fairly close to San Francisco State University

No, We will not be renting a car. I had a feeling that there were no 4 star hotels in the university neighborhood because the uni website didn't mention any. I have been to San Francisco many times before, mainly staying in Union Square, Embarcadero, Fisherman's Wharf. I would prefer to stay away from those places this time, somewhere with more character and charm, good restaurants and shops and away from the tourist areas. I remember visiting Cow Hollow (?) a while ago which I liked. The type of hotel we would like to stay in doesn't necessarily have to be 4 star, but I just don't want a Days Inn or Motel 6 type of place. A clean hotel with character and preferably a gym, would be nice, in a safe location. What are the names of the neighborhoods that are close to SFSU?

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
reviews: 4
5. Re: Hotel fairly close to San Francisco State University

The problem with staying away from Union Square or the Embarcadero is you greatly increase your travel time to SFSU.

Some possibilities are the Kabuki, Hotel Tomo and Queen Anne near Japantown. I suppose you could walk to Van Ness and catch a bus down to the Muni Station at the corner of Market and Van Ness.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
6. Re: Hotel fairly close to San Francisco State University

Based on what you're looking for I would second belo's recommendation of the Inn at the Presidio or possibly the Drisco in Pacific Heights. Both of them are a bit of a walk (1/2 mile or so) to the 28-19th Ave bus line which will take you to SFSU (albeit a longer ride than from the Union Square area).

The neighborhoods close to SFSU: Sunset, Parkside, Lakeside, Lake Merced, West Portal, Ingleside Terrace, Daly City (o/s SF city limits). You won't find much in the way of accomodations in any of these areas.

Who needs a gym when you can go out and climb a hill? Gym priveleges are usually a function of downtown hotels. The Presidio YMCA is close to the Inn at the Presidio however I don't know if guests have priveleges there or not.

I will warn however that both of these locations (especially the Inn at the Presidio) are a ways from shops and dining. The Presidio is rather dark at night and it's at least a mile from the Inn to the Presidio Gate at Lombard St.

The Drisco is in a lovely residential area but is 5-6 blocks from either the Pacific Heights or Presidio Heights commercial sections.

Without a car I think you'd be better served to stay downtown. Have you checked out the Vitale on the Embarcadero?

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 60
7. Re: Hotel fairly close to San Francisco State University

Your options are to stay at a 4-star hotel downtown, or stay at a budget property closer to campus. Unfortunately you can't get a 4-star hotel anywhere closer to SFSU than Union Square. You would get a better feel for the west side of town if you stay in one of the budget accommodations closer to SFSU.

The Ocean Park Motel, near the foot of Sloat Blvd., gets good reviews here. Perhaps you would find it acceptable. There are not too many shops or restaurants in that part of Ocean Beach, but you aren't too far away from more interesting places.

Muni's 18 bus line runs directly from Ocean Park Motel and the other budget hotels along Ocean Beach to SFSU. Technically, the bus terminates on 19th Avenue halfway between Stonestown (shopping center) and SFSU, but the walk is very easy. See http://www.sfmta.com for details.

If you opt for the Ocean Park Motel, you can choose to rent a car or use Muni. In addition to SFSU and Stonestown, the 18 runs the length of Ocean Beach (handy for visiting Golden Gate Park). The L-Taraval streetcar line runs from the hotel area to West Portal and eastern neighborhoods. The 23 bus line is handy if you need to do some grocery shopping at the nearby Lucky.

Edited: 8:11 pm, March 06, 2013
Martinez, California
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 103
8. Re: Hotel fairly close to San Francisco State University

From your original post, regarding having to make a decision as to whether your son wants to spend the next 4 years there, I have no clue about the hotels in the area but my son is a recent graduate of SF State and I never had to stay nearby, since I live in the Bay Area, but ---- with an important decision pending (and because you have stayed in SF many times) ---- it might be a wise idea during this time of decision-making to bite the bullet and stay at one of the hotels in the neighborhood, to get the flavor of the campus. Could help your joint decision-making.

My son rented a room in someone's old house in the area so he lived close to the campus as opposed to having to commute in. Something to be said for being close-by for a few days to "observe," if you get my drift, even though it might not be the ideal hotel situation (since I assume he won't be living in 4-star conditions when attending college?).

Congratulations to him and good luck in your visit.

San Diego...
9. Re: Hotel fairly close to San Francisco State University

Thank you everyone for you input. I have another question for you though. My son has also been accepted to San Jose State University, and he has just now decided he would like to visit that one too. It wasn't in our plans when I posted my first post, as I thought he had eliminated that one, but he now thinks we should visit San Jose too as we are so close by. So my question to you is how do we get from San Francisco to San Jose, to visit for one day? By train, bus, or rent a car??

Edited: 2:43 am, March 07, 2013
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
reviews: 4
10. Re: Hotel fairly close to San Francisco State University

You can take Caltrain from SF down to San Jose. San Jose State's about a mile from the Diridon Caltrain station in San Jose.

Or you can rent a car for a day.

I wouldn't consider a bus.