We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin Market Street or the Palace for family? Other?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans, LA
reviews: 5
Westin Market Street or the Palace for family? Other?

We will be stopping over in SF for two nights on the way to Hawaii in late May. DH and I will have the four kids in tow and will only have one full day in SF. We have tickets to visit Alcatraz and will have lunch in Chinatown and will probably do lots of walking before we get on another plane. We will need two rooms and my first choice is always a Starwood property but I don't want to be blindly brand loyal.

I am looking for advice on what neighborhood will be convenient and whether one of the listed Starwood properties (rates are $179 & $189 for our dates) or another hotel would be best. We won't be spending alot of time in the hotel and usually stay in mid-tier hotels.

Our needs are two beds (preferably queen), under $200 a night, walking distance to the pier and Chinatown-free breakfast would be a plus.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
1. Re: Westin Market Street or the Palace for family? Other?

Either of the two you mentjion would be fine. I think the rooms at the Westin Market St (built as the ANA and a lot newer than the Palace) are probably quite a bit bigger than the Palace. And they're only a couple of blocks apart.

Free breakfast ... shouldn't be a deal breaker. It's not that common, usually not that good and there are plenty of breakfast options nearby.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 338
2. Re: Westin Market Street or the Palace for family? Other?

Palace, your kids would love the indoor pool. No pool at the Westin.

www.sfpalace.com/gallery/fitness_center

New Orleans, LA
3. Re: Westin Market Street or the Palace for family? Other?

Thanks very much. Will both of those be convenient to our activities? Do you guys think those are good choices? I know that SF hotels can be expensive and the rates didn't seem bad. Anything else favored by families that I should consider?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
4. Re: Westin Market Street or the Palace for family? Other?

SF is not a large city.

You mentioned your preference for a particular brand and I think Scott and I gave pros and cons if each.

For one night I wouldn't stress over the decision,

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 109
5. Re: Westin Market Street or the Palace for family? Other?

With one day in SF, you should be just spending time seeing the city and not worrying about which hotel to stay in. If I were you I would look for the bed configuration I want and then just book. Just one day is really too short. If you are looking to go to Pier 39/ Fisherman's wharf you can walk there but the F wharves street car or the cable car would be more fun and you can get a day pass (1 day passport ) on the cable car if you plan to use it more than once

New Orleans, LA
6. Re: Westin Market Street or the Palace for family? Other?

Thanks, yes, I have a lot of additional trip planning to do . :) My main concern is that I don't know the city and want to make sure that these hotels are convenient. If you think that they are equally so then I am good.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 338
7. Re: Westin Market Street or the Palace for family? Other?

All the Starwoods are nice hotels in SF and most are in pretty good locations, the rates are really good too I think.

San Francisco, CA
reviews: 36
8. Re: Westin Market Street or the Palace for family? Other?

They're about a block apart, so the location won't be a factor.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
reviews: 31
9. Re: Westin Market Street or the Palace for family? Other?

The Palace is our favorite hotel. It is absolutely gorgeous inside and a great location for transit options and close to Union Square and Chinatown.

The rooms are very comparble in size 300sf at the Palace 320sf at the Westin. And the Palace has a real cool pool with a glass roof where you can swim and see the city skyline. The Garden Court at the Palace is incredible.

10. Re: Westin Market Street or the Palace for family? Other?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 05, 2014