We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Help for my Mum

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 18
Hotel Help for my Mum

Hi Everyone,

My mum is coming over to the USA with us for our wedding..after the wedding she will be travelling to San Francisco for around 3 - 4 days.

She will be there around 21-25 August..I have been looking at hotels but just need some help in finding one that is in a nice area, close to transport and shops - she won't have a car. She will be travelling alone so I want to make sure I find somewhere safe as I have never been to San Francisco before.

Her budget would be roughly $150 - $200 a night, she likes nice hotels so if there is a hotel that is close to everything and its a bit pricier I will help her out with the extra coin.

I have heard fishermans wharf is good? Would I best to look around that area?

Thanks for your help in advance :-)

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
1. Re: Hotel Help for my Mum

<<I have heard fishermans wharf is good?>>

Not sure where you heard that from. FW has become a purpose built tourist trap full of rip off, tacky tourist shops. I'm sure there is such a place in most every large city. Why anyone would use up their carbon credits to see some tacky spot that they wouldn't be caught dead in their own towns amazes me no end.

Sorry for the rant. Please read the Top Questions -- there are two excellent ones about areas to stay. Hotel rates vary widely depending not only on time of year (and Aug is high season) but also on the convention calendar. So it is difficult to say what can be found on your dates for that budget. And be aware that hotel tax in SF is 15%. With luck you should be able to find something 3* in that budget.

If my daughter stuck me at FW I'd shoot her.

Edited: 11:10 pm, February 22, 2013
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
2. Re: Hotel Help for my Mum

I think your mum would be happiest in the Union Square area, which gives access to all the different kinds of public transportation, and, most of all, shopping and very good restaurants within walking distance of hotels.

$150 is going to be on the low end for a budget in August, since I believe there will be conventions in town, and when that happens, they drive up the hotel prices.

There is a hotel which I think would be perfect for her....the Chancellor. It is 1/2 block from Union Square, is an historic boutique hotel which was redecorated about a year ago. It is one of the most recommended hotels in the area for its comfort and class and guest relations. It has a small and lovely restaurant which serves breakfast and lunch. The cable cars go by on Powell Street in front of the hotel.

I checked on your dates and they still have rooms in August. The rate I got was $200 plus tax, coming out to $231.

She would be taken good care of there. Do look at it. We stay there often during the year and it seems to me to be a good fit for her.

http://www.chancellorhotel.com/

Edited: 11:42 pm, February 22, 2013
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
3. Re: Hotel Help for my Mum

OH. Congratulations and best wishes on your wedding. Where will it be?

And I would not wait to make reservations after you find something suitable. Prices go up as we get closer to the date during convention time.

If you book directly with a hotel, you can cancel later if you find something better. This is not usually true if you use third party booking sites....hotwire, etc., so I don't use them.

Good luck.

Edited: 11:50 pm, February 22, 2013
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 16
4. Re: Hotel Help for my Mum

I have stayed at the Chancellor Hotel it is very nice and they have great customer service.

United States
reviews: 15
5. Re: Hotel Help for my Mum

While San Fran is safe, if she's never been you'll want to warn her about the prescence of homeless on every corner, lest she think you've put her in a "bad neighborhood". Check reviews here on Tripadvisor for The Stratford, it's just 2 1/2 blocks from the Powell Street BART station which will be very convenient to and from the airport.

www.hotelstratford.com

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 18
6. Re: Hotel Help for my Mum

Thanks so much guys!

Puter - we are getting married in Vegas, then we are going to Dallas for a few days and while me and my fiancé travel on through Texas and other States, mum is going to San Fran then back to LA then back home to Oz.

Hotel Chancellor looks gorgeous! I am going to tell her to check that place out and tell her you have recommended it too. The Stratford is also nice! Thank you so much for the two options,,,they are both hotels she would love to stay in. I will also let her know to keep an eye out for the presence of any homeless people so thank you for letting me know about that.

Ha ha ha Thanks RamblinSal - I won't let her stay in Fishermans Wharf! I heard it from people who have gone to San Fran so lucky I asked here! I know Union Square will be more my mums taste :-)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
7. Re: Hotel Help for my Mum

Lil,

The Stratford is a good budget hotel, but I would not recommend it for your Mum.

I checked it out last year for a young man who needed a budget hotel.

It has no lobby, just a desk near an elevator. While the rooms are clean, they are not attractive, in my opinion, and they charge extra for rooms on the front of the hotel with any kind of view. The less expensive rooms are "interior" ones, some on light wells.

There are no services, such as a restaurant, nor a bar if she should want a glass of wine or a soft drink.

It is fine for students and people on a strict budget, but I would not put my Mum there, for what it is worth.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 144
8. Re: Hotel Help for my Mum

I'm at least as old as your mom and I'm a fan of the Orchard Hotel. Small but NEW, quiet and beautiful. They have a lovely restaurant. Walking distance to Union Square. They will also drive you short distances in the hotel town car. http://www.theorchardhotel.com/

Edited: 3:31 am, February 23, 2013
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
9. Re: Hotel Help for my Mum

I would stick to the Union Square area for Mum. Great location for a first timer, with shops and restaurants for her to walk to.

Perhaps she can take a tour and get out and see the City after a day or two.

Congratulations on your wedding.

United States
reviews: 15
10. Re: Hotel Help for my Mum

The Galleria Park is another good hotel to consider, it's at $190 per night on booking.com (actually $220 when you add the taxes etc). Lots of photos her on tripadvisor in the review section.