We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days itinerary SF + surrounding areas?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
York, United Kingdom
10 days itinerary SF + surrounding areas?

Me (I'm 24) and my Dad are visiting San Fran for his 60th birthday. (his b'day is on 4th July)

He is letting me organise the trip, but before I book anything I would like any advice or feedback on the following itinerary.

Thursday 4th July - arrive San Fran. Watch the independence day fireworks.

Friday & Saturday - San Fran (3 nights hotel in Union Square area)

Sunday - pick up rental hire car.

Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, Monterey (1 night hotel in Monterey)

Monday - Big Sur, Hearst Castle, Morro Bay (1 night hotel in Morro Bay)

Tuesday - drive 200 miles to Mariposa Grove giant sequoias (1 night hotel in Oakhurst)

Wednesday - Glacier Point, drive through Yosemite to Mono Lake (1 night hotel in Lee Vining/Mammoth Lakes)

Thursday - June Lake Loop, drive up to Lake Tahoe

Friday - Lake Tahoe (2 nights hotel Lake Tahoe)

Saturday - Sacramento, San Jose. Watch San Jose Earthquakes football match. (1 night hotel in San Jose)

Sunday 14th July - drive around until return hire car, back to airport for evening flight

I know the above itinerary is quite brief, but I wanted to briefly explain the trip to see if it would be do-able within the time frame. (When booking the trip I will look closer into the details of where to stay etc)

Should anything be included that is worth seeing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited: 1:58 pm, February 21, 2013
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 136
1. Re: 10 days itinerary SF + surrounding areas?

Welcome to TA. So thrilled you are doing this for his birthday. Really really cool There is a lot of driving around but I guess you want to both experience a lot Our earthquakes bless them are no march for the English Premier league and while I understand the need to stay in San Jose, perhaps you can see an American game such as Baseball and get a free night to do something else. When in Rome ....

Oakland As or SF Giants are baseball teams. Now if you are a diehard soccer fan, oh by all means please check out the quakes

York, United Kingdom
2. Re: 10 days itinerary SF + surrounding areas?

Hi belomiser

Yes we want to see as much as possible, hence the reason to drive to see other areas surrounding San Fran. (I have never been to USA, and my Dad has only been to New York)

The coastal drive appeals to us because we have done many 'must see drives' across Europe, and from a bit of research the coastal road from Monterey to Morro Bay looks stunning.

Again in regards to Yosemite and Tahoe, they both seem like must see locations.

The football game would be on our last evening, and yes we are both massive football fans. Whenever we visit a country we always try to see a football match, and in doing so we adopt / continue to support that team.

We love sport in general so I will also look into a baseball game.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 136
3. Re: 10 days itinerary SF + surrounding areas?

if you read the top questions in the California Forum , there is a lot of info on the Hwy 1 drive. Also check out the Big Sur Forum and there is a photo blog about the Big Sur drive from Carmel to Cambria

The Yosemite National Park forum has a wealth of info on what to do and see and PNWF is the master at helping people along with the other fab DEs there.

Kibblesmom will help you with the Central Coast and Suzie-travels with your Tahoe part. They are all excellent

Typically you would post this in the CA forum as your vacation is around CA but I am sure other DEs will be by to help you and give you their feedback

Big Sur is lovely, Yosemite is gorgeous and the the Sierras are magnificent and again you have chosen some great places to see and visit and doing it with dad is priceless so my hats off to you again.

Have fun seeing the Quakes. By the way, the Quakes and the Oakland A's have the same owner. They are building a new stadium in San Jose for the Quakes.

Edited: 3:01 pm, February 21, 2013
San Francisco...
4. Re: 10 days itinerary SF + surrounding areas?

Wow, sounds ambitious with a lot of driving and changing hotels (4 nights in a row). Everyone has a different travel style so if it was me I'd try to collapse it so we'd be able to soak up the feel of some of those places. Can you add a few days to your trip? If not, then I would probably move a night in Morro Bay to two nights in the central coast-- probably Big Sur. I'd drop Mono Lake in favor on two nights in Yosemite village.

Edited: 9:41 am, February 22, 2013
San Francisco...
5. Re: 10 days itinerary SF + surrounding areas?

I would highly recommend spending at least one day touring world famous Napa valley. Even if wine isn't your thing, these wineries are made to impress. Among them are a gondola only hilltop winery, castle replica, movie themes, countless gardens, art exhibitsn Persian themed, etc.

Its fun just having a list of the big public wineries, stop by to look around, and head on to the next one. Maybe the only place in the world this is possible

6. Re: 10 days itinerary SF + surrounding areas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 24, 2014