We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking distance?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 8
Walking distance?

I'm in decent shape.. is the walk from Lombard (crooked street) to Coit Tower feasible? I know it's quite hilly but hope the 8 blocks or so is doable.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
1. Re: Walking distance?

You obviously consulted a map to determine the distance which is about a mile.

From the top of the crooked street it's 2-3 blocks downhill, then flat about 2-3 blocks and then uphill to Coit Tower.

If you don't want to walk uphill, catch the 39-Coit at Lombard and Grant.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
2. Re: Walking distance?

I presume you are going to eat at some of our great restaurants. If so, this is a good way to get a nice workout and instead of a TV in a Gym, you will get some amazing views. LOL

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
3. Re: Walking distance?

LOL belo. Reminds me of those old Yosemite T-Shirts "Go Climb A Rock." Then SF came out with "Go Climb A Hill."

SF's motto should be "why waste money on a gym?"

Nashville
reviews: 52
4. Re: Walking distance?

A lot depends on where on Lombard street you start. Starting near the crooked section is much different than if you were farther out. If you have never been to San Francisco, don't under estimate the steepness of the hills. I am a runner and in decent shape. I really could not believe how steep the hills were until I saw them in person. After seeing the hills, I decided to delay my morning run by a day until we were in Carmel.

We got off of a cable car at the top of the crooked section, walked down it and then on to Fisherman's Wharf. The views from the Coit Tower are fantastic. We cheated and went to the top of the hill on a tour van.

Edited: 5:56 pm, February 16, 2013
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
reviews: 41
5. Re: Walking distance?

New T-shirt slogan: "I Summited San Francisco"

Baltimore
reviews: 1
6. Re: Walking distance?

If you are in decent shape, it will probably be very easy. Where Lombard Street meets upper Grant in the shadow of Coit Tower, you might prefer to cut right - that would be south - for two blocks on Grant, and then turn left on Filbert to climb up to the park. If you need to pause on Filbert, you won’t be the Lone Ranger; I count myself a serious fitness guy but I would likely pause a couple times.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
7. Re: Walking distance?

My SF T-Shirt from the '70's said Go Climb a Street!

Limerick...
reviews: 94
8. Re: Walking distance?

We walked from Coit Tower to the top of Lombard.

No problem.

Just buy water

We are both on the high side of 50.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
reviews: 31
9. Re: Walking distance?

We were seriously going to do that walk last night. The only thing that stopped us was that by the time we finished dinner at Leopold's it was 8pm and we would have to walk there and back (our car was at Larkin and Lombard) before our 2 hour drive back to Sacramento.

We walk alot though. Two weeks ago we walked from the Embarcadero over Nob Hill, Pacific Heights and to the Disney Family Museum.

It is a great way to see the city. Just remember it is not a race. Take your time on the hills, enjoy the views and if you cant' make it hail a cab at the next busy street. You may want to have the number of a cab company in your phone just in case.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 8
10. Re: Walking distance?

Thanks all! I might even continue up to Ghirardelli Square for a reward!