We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

luggage dilemma

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
glasgow
reviews: 43
luggage dilemma

Very early planning for a trip from UK to hike first 7 days of the John Muir Trail. First thoughts are to fly into San Fran, spend a night then use train/bus via Merced to get to Yosemite. Would return to San Fran for 3 or 4 days afterwards. Problem is where to store non hiking luggage whilst we are on the trail part of our trip, would a decent hotel hold our luggage from the first night until we returned? or are there luggage storage facilities anywhere-even at Merced, have checked the net but struggling to come up with anything! Many thanks!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
1. Re: luggage dilemma

<<would a decent hotel hold our luggage from the first night until we returned?>>

I would imagine just about any hotel would.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
2. Re: luggage dilemma

Why don't you look at the Chancellor hotel. I am sure they will be happy to hold the luggage for you. They are very nice people That is not to say others wont. Just chose a nice hotel

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 46
3. Re: luggage dilemma

Yes, most hotels will hold luggage for returning guests. You won't find luggage storage outside of hotels or some airports, I'm afraid. Another option, if you won't need the luggage after the hike, is to ship it home so you don't have to handle it again.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 111
4. Re: luggage dilemma

You'd only want to use the Chancellor if you were staying there. While the folks at the Chancellor are top notch - it would be asking a bit much for them to go out of their way for people who aren't guests at their hotel.

I imagine you should make arrangements with the hotel where you'll actually stay. If that choice is the Chancellor, you'll likely have no issues. And if there's no charge, a tip would be involved at a minimum.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
5. Re: luggage dilemma

Yes I was suggesting the OP stay at the chancellor as it is a hotel and not a left luggage office. Also suggested the OP look at other hotels as well. Again hotels which are places to stay and then leave luggage

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 13
6. Re: luggage dilemma

Actually Wes Tyler the GM at the Chancellor has helped people in the past with similar situations who were not staying at the hotel.

He is a great ambassador for the city but of course it would be good for him and his staff if you were actually a guest of the hotel as well.

glasgow
reviews: 43
7. Re: luggage dilemma

Excellent, many thanks for this advice, will discuss this when arranging a hotel booking.

8. Re: luggage dilemma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 17, 2014