We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn Civic Center

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai...
reviews: 1
Holiday Inn Civic Center

Require a Hotel close to Mescone Center and should be available between 24th to 30th March 2013. Going for the GDC. Please advice.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
reviews: 21
1. Re: Holiday Inn Civic Center

First, welcome to the TA forums!

Probably not the best choice for at least two reasons: 1) Not particularly close to Moscone Center (compared to other options), and 2) not in the best area of town. The Civic Center tends to have a relatively high population of homeless, drugs, street people, and other less than savory things going on; by extension it is not the safest area of town.

Speaking in rough numbers the Holiday in about a mile from the Moscone Center (although it's a pretty quick MUNI ride). You're probably better off looking at hotels in the Union Square area and/or just south of Market from Union Square. You'll find there are dozens of hotels in the area I'm talking about - ranging both in price & quality - all of these are much closer than the Holiday Inn and in a nicer area. Some will be as close as a block or two and most will be within a 1/2 mile or so.

If you give us a budget and what you're looking for/preference re: hotel "style", etc. we can probably come up with a handful of suggestions that are closer to Moscone.

That's my $.02 - hope it helps,

hlo

Baltimore
2. Re: Holiday Inn Civic Center

I suppose once you’re in the elevator and up to your room the hotel’s ok. But it’s remarkable just how dingy the area is and not among those nearest Moscone, so you can probably do better.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 132
3. Re: Holiday Inn Civic Center

Have a look at hotels in the Union Square area or around the Moscone Center/ Convention center and you will get plenty of options. Please read reviews before you book and do post here if you have questions. Please stay away from Civic Center and 7th Street hotels

The closest hotels would be the Marriott Marquis, the Intercontinental, the Westin on Market street. Palomar, Nikko, Parc 55 and then all the Union Square hotels.

maps.google.com will be great help Type in Moscone center and then click on the read pointer and search nearby "hotels'

or

Just type in hotels near moscone center on google.com and you can see the map and check reviews there as well as on Trip advisor.

Holiday Inn hotels that i have seen outside the US are generally nicer than those in major cities in the US.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
4. Re: Holiday Inn Civic Center

I will be more emphatic. DO NOT stay in that area. It is unpleasant and full of both harmless homeless and very unsavory characters.

If some of the hotels mentioned in #3 above are beyond your budget, please give us a range and we can recommend a good hotel in a nice area which will be convenient for your conference.

sf
5. Re: Holiday Inn Civic Center

Puter I think you are exagerating the location way too much, I walk by it daily going to work. Its not Union Sq but he's going to a conference, and probably not take scenic walks.

By all means try the other hotels if your budget allows, but don't be afraid of this place.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
6. Re: Holiday Inn Civic Center

SFNATIV. Walking by it is not the same as living in it. We had to stay there once because of a company reservation and I felt very uneasy, which is rare for me, if we had to go out in the evening. Also, it is dirty, and I don't know why anybody would deliberately choose to stay in an unpleasant atmosphere in a beautiful city.

sf
7. Re: Holiday Inn Civic Center

Puter I've had friends stay there too as part of a travel tour package, and didn't have a problem at all. I also said it depends on budgets, and if I was just going to a conference I would't really care where I stayed as long as it was near the event, and a decent place. I suggested he not be afraid, and if he can swing it stay elsewhere, but you make it sound like a Ghetto, if this scares you, you'd hate a few places I've been to in the 3rd world.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
8. Re: Holiday Inn Civic Center

I am not afraid of the area. I just think it is very unpleasant and dirty and full of undesirable people.

Even people who visit for business purposes like to be in a pleasant atmosphere when their business is over.

I, too have been in third world countries. That doesn't mean that I would stay in the Civic Center area when I visit San Francisco to prove that I am, what, "tough"?

There are much better budget hotels in the Union Square area, near good restaurants and shops and places to walk at night.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
9. Re: Holiday Inn Civic Center

8th Street is not very nice. Pitty enough in the day time but quite unsavory, and unsafe, after dark. A whole lot of druggies down that way.

I think there must be a better place to stay for our OP.

Baltimore
10. Re: Holiday Inn Civic Center

Since I’ve begun participating in TA forums and because these topics about safety in and near the Tenderloin are often raised, I’ve paid some attention. I walked past this hotel a few weeks ago, well into the evening, en-route to a favorite SOM dive bar. While I was not even remotely frightened and thought hardcore dangers must be negligible, the thought of staying there is without appeal.

Why do it?

If someone who really knows that block, is unconcerned, gets a good deal, and is happy to stay there, good for them. When does that person appear at TA seeking advice? I don’t know about other people, but as much as I have some dubious taste for the edgy, I’m spooked by that place – not just the ample slices of low-life at the door – but something about how the place vibes looking in the doorway.