We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco or Sacramento to Reno

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
reviews: 19
San Francisco or Sacramento to Reno

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what the weather/road conditions will be like through the mountians into Reno in late April(25-28). I-80.

Thanks,

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
1. Re: San Francisco or Sacramento to Reno

If I had that kind of clairvoyance I wouldn't be sitting in my living room posting on Trip Advisor :O

Generally snow season is over by late April but I'm sure throughout history a blizzard or two has passed through in that timeframe.

You can check www.weatherunderground.com or similar for average April snowfall. More likely any precip will be rain and not snow however.

And, in case there are some rogue flurries, I80 is a main freeway and is plowed quickly.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
2. Re: San Francisco or Sacramento to Reno

I know I know. It is going to be Cloudy with a chance of meatballs ;-)

What is the general concern you have ? Is the issue driving in snow or with chains ? It would be best to rent an ALL wheel drive so you don't have issues with chains if you are renting. If you are driving the you make want to see the forecast a few days in advance and decide.

California
reviews: 12
3. Re: San Francisco or Sacramento to Reno

Well that certainly is late in the season for snow. Not unheard up to have a storm though, so if you are a betting person go with planning for good weather. Closer to your visit, verify the weather forecast is for good weather and if it's not, then shift to getting a vehicle that will be best for whatever weather you face.

sf
4. Re: San Francisco or Sacramento to Reno

I80 stays open almost all year, and as stated above not usually snowy at that time, but weather in the mountains can change rapidly. Go ahead and reserve a 4wd, then change if the weather is clear.

Eugene, Oregon
reviews: 11
5. Re: San Francisco or Sacramento to Reno

Reno better gear up for all the hordes heading their way!

San Diego...
reviews: 19
6. Re: San Francisco or Sacramento to Reno

Thanks for all the replies for travel to Reno in late April.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
7. Re: San Francisco or Sacramento to Reno

I've seen snow in Donner Summit in July so it can happen any time, but driving on the 80 is about like driving the 10 to Alpine. It is a regular freeway with some more curves, but still a very easy drive.

Near Yosemite...
reviews: 6
8. Re: San Francisco or Sacramento to Reno

OK. I will make a prediction for you. I would say the odds are 90%+ that you will not have any issues with snow and chain requirements for your late April drive. You are more likely to have road construction delays over snow related delays.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 59
9. Re: San Francisco or Sacramento to Reno

Somoman, you can check highway conditions here: http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

On a side note, if you're coming up from San Diego, I would just drive Highway 395 instead. It's an amazing trip that way (did it in 2007) and the road conditions should be good.

Monterey Bay...
reviews: 37
10. Re: San Francisco or Sacramento to Reno

I'll make a 100% prediction that the roads will be fine, because I'll be traveling to Reno at about your exact dates. I'm taking an optimistic view! Last year, it was well into the 80's in Reno at that time....shorts, swimsuit and tank tops.

(It could also be snowing too.)