We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nearest campsites

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
Nearest campsites

Hello!

I'm planning a driving/camping trip around the CA Central Coast for this coming August. As we will be towing our tent trailer, it just makes sense to camp, even if getting in to see SF is a bit of a hassle from there. We would have our own vehicle and are 2A,2K.

1 Can any one recommend a couple of reasonably convenient campgrounds?

2. What is a day of parking worth in the city?

Thanks for any recommendations.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 831
11. Re: Nearest campsites

The RV parks that I am familiar with around SF are indeed just "parking lots". That's okay for those in an enclosed, mostly soundproof indoor RV, but I agree I would not like to stay there in a tent trailer. The spaces are very very close.

There is Novato RV Park but I don't know if they have roomier spaces or not. You can probably find reviews for it.

Help me out, locals . . . would Chabot Regional Park near Oakland work or be too awkward?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 131
12. Re: Nearest campsites

well it may be a nicer park -- the chabot one but one has to worry about bay bridge traffic

San Francisco...
reviews: 1
13. Re: Nearest campsites

I'm not familiar with campgrounds near Oakland. But in Marin County, Samual P. Taylor, China Camp, and Mount Tam are all good options. But they are about 30 to 45 minutes away from the city...

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
14. Re: Nearest campsites

China Camp's sites are walk-in, I believe. Half Moon Bay State Beach is a good choice if you want to be on the beach south of San Francisco. State Parks are nicer than most RV parks if you are sleeping in a tent trailer.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 52
15. Re: Nearest campsites

If the KOA is in fact in Petaluma....that could work out just fine! Petaluma is a lovely little spot and you could comfortably explore Muir Woods, Sausalito and even go out to Bodega Bay from there as well as going into SF.

Santa Cruz...
reviews: 1
16. Re: Nearest campsites

Half Moon Bay State Beach. Wake up by the ocean, half hour or less to get into the city.

Monterey Bay...
reviews: 39
17. Re: Nearest campsites

Half Moon Bay gets my vote. Spent almost every weekend of my childhood there fishing, smelting and playing in the sand. Enjoy!

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 80
18. Re: Nearest campsites

I was thinking Half Moon Bay too. The state beach campground is nice - right on the bluffs overlooking the ocean. The only drawback is that there isn't a lot of shade or trees/bushes between sites, so the sites don't have a lot of privacy, but on the plus side, the openness of the campground allows for some really great views - and being on the coast, it won't be terribly hot, even in August - in fact you should bring a jacket because it could be foggy and cool.

Another benefit of HMB is that you don't have to cross any bridges to get into SF, so no issues with tolls or bridge traffic. There will be traffic, but it isn't the same as going over the bridges.

19. Re: Nearest campsites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 16, 2014