We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help, where to stay, visiting son in Mission District

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles
Need help, where to stay, visiting son in Mission District

Dear Fellow Travelers,

I can't believe I am saying this but I really need help for this trip. The research is just getting to be too much for me and I'm not accomplishing anything.

I haven't seen my son in months and am flying in to see him/20, 2/25 for 3 days. He is new to the area and doesn't quite know it, himself, and can't quite seem to help me find a place to stay. He lives and works in the Mission district, 24th & Mission, with roommates and can't house me. He rides a bike.

I'm looking for a budget hotel where he can stay with me and we can use as our base when he's not working.. I am 56, comfortable taking public transportation and can walk a bit but I don't want to be intimated.

thank you all, so much, for any suggestions

United States
reviews: 14
1. Re: Need help, where to stay, visiting son in Mission District

I can see why he's having a hard time finding something near 24th and Mission, just flophouses and hostels in the area, mostly. I think your best bet is probably the Willows Inn if they have an opening. It's in the Castro, prob a bit over a mile from your son's place but the transportation is good.

www.willowssf.com

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
2. Re: Need help, where to stay, visiting son in Mission District

There is a BART station right at 24th and Mission which makes the "world your oyster."

I'd suggest finding a nice place at Union Square. He can meet you downtown.

There are a number of good value budget hotels downtown but I'd suggest first looking at the Chancellor. However "budget" mean different things to different people so other options include the Mayflower or Grant. And there are others and you can search TA or other hotel search facilites such as Expedia based on your dates, neighborhood and budget.

As we discussed recently on another thread, there is something about the uselessness of sons ... when I was 19 and new to the city I researched, inspected and booked a place for my mother and grandmother that was within 4 blocks of my garret. Too bad sons do not do as well by their mothers.

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 54
3. Re: Need help, where to stay, visiting son in Mission District

I think you'll have to look outside his immediate neighborhood. SF isn't that big, so you could stay anywhere he can get to work easily, which would include the Union Square area. You don't mention a budget, but you would be comfortable walking around on your own when he is working, and he could get to work via BART or Muni when he was working. Pricing might be a bit of a challenge, so it will help if you give us a dollar amount to work with.

Dublin, California
reviews: 31
4. Re: Need help, where to stay, visiting son in Mission District

Too bad sons do not do as well by their mothers.

--------

Hey c'mon now. Sometimes sons can and do do a lot for their parents.

Baltimore
reviews: 1
5. Re: Need help, where to stay, visiting son in Mission District

>>As we discussed recently on another thread, there is something about the uselessness of sons ... when I was 19 and new to the city I researched, inspected and booked a place for my mother and grandmother that was within 4 blocks of my garret. Too bad sons do not do as well by their mothers.<<

Would you adopt me? I’m only 71.

If mom and son and son plan on staying together at a hotel anyhow, and he bikes, meaning no car, Union Square is a great idea.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
6. Re: Need help, where to stay, visiting son in Mission District

Hah! Neither my son or daughter have ever booked a hotel or recommended one to me!! I WILL tell you that when my son and I traveled together in France they all thought we were a couple and not mother and son(VERY embarrassing for him at the time!)

I agree that you should take a nice place in convenient Union Square and let him meet you there.

United States
reviews: 14
7. Re: Need help, where to stay, visiting son in Mission District

"There is something about the uselessness of sons"......rambles the woman who recommended The Chancellor, The Mayflower and The Grant....all fully booked on those dates.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 116
8. Re: Need help, where to stay, visiting son in Mission District

I'm with Sal on location. Due to the BART station, you can reasonably pick any number of hotels that can have him getting to work relatively easily. It all depends on budget and the like.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
9. Re: Need help, where to stay, visiting son in Mission District

<<"There is something about the uselessness of sons"......rambles the woman who recommended The Chancellor, The Mayflower and The Grant....all fully booked on those dates.>>

Oh gee, now I'm supposed to check availability as well? I'm a TAer (Trip Advisor) not the other sort of TA (Travel Agent).

As of right now, according to Expedia, there is availability at the Grant, Grant Plaza, Andrews, Bijou, Diva, Carlton.

But time is short and prices aren't going to come down.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
10. Re: Need help, where to stay, visiting son in Mission District

SFCityGuy, if I adopted YOU that would make me your mother and, by my rules, you'd have to do all these things for me. I am an orphan however so if YOU adopt ME I will research and book all your hotel rooms (I don't pay for them BTW). But you will have to put me in your will :D