We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Commuting from Airport to Union Square and back

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Wisconsin
Commuting from Airport to Union Square and back

My husband and I are planning a trip to San Francisco. We mostly want to explore the city itself and would prefer to stay in the city (probably around Union Square) and not rent a car. However, we will be arriving at the airport around midnight Friday -- is public transport to the city from the airport safe around that time, or should we find some other way to travel. Alternatively, should we consider staying at a hotel near the airport? Thanks.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
1. Re: Commuting from Airport to Union Square and back

If it were I, I would prefer to wake up in the morning in San Francisco rather than in a faceless airport hotel.

You would probably need to take a taxi, I think that BART stops operating about midnight....someone here will tell you for sure. Depending upon where a city hotel is I believe taxi fare is around $50-$55.

And you will be wise not to rent a car....NOT recommended in San Francisco. Parking charges are high and you do not need or want a car to explore the city. Public transportation is easy and excellent.

Baltimore
reviews: 1
2. Re: Commuting from Airport to Union Square and back

The last BART train departs just prior to midnight.

Probably what Puter says: take a cab so as to wake in the City.

Except, may I ask how long you’re staying and maybe how long you’ll have traveled? I suppose for me, if I’d traveled some distance and planned to be in San Francisco something like four or more nights – a decent enough stay, maybe I’d grab a nearby bed at the airport and consider my San Francisco visit beginning the next day.

Probably save money.

Edited: 11:29 pm, February 10, 2013
San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 47
3. Re: Commuting from Airport to Union Square and back

It will take nearly the same amount of time to get to a nearby airport hotel as to get to a downtown SF hotel. For the airport hotel, you wait for a shuttle, then take a 10 minute drive. For downtown, grab a taxi and you'll be there in 20 minutes. Even though I loves my sleep after a long flight, even I'd take the extra few minutes to be right in SF immediately. But then, the ride into town would probably wake me right up -- the lights, seeing cable cars or Union Square or wherever... I'd know I was HERE!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
4. Re: Commuting from Airport to Union Square and back

<<It will take nearly the same amount of time to get to a nearby airport hotel as to get to a downtown SF hotel. For the airport hotel, you wait for a shuttle, then take a 10 minute drive. For downtown, grab a taxi and you'll be there in 20 minutes>>

I completely agree. In fact, at that time of night you might wait longer than 10 minutes for an airport hotel shuttle. But at midnight the cab ride into the city will be very quick.

Besides, you stay at the airport you have to get up in the morning, try to repack your toilettries, etc and then schlep back to the airport if you want to catch BART or, if you opt for a cab, you'll be in rush hour traffic.

OTOH if you get into SF the night before you can wake up, call room service for breakfast and loll about before hitting the town about 10AM.

Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 1
5. Re: Commuting from Airport to Union Square and back

Thank you for the responses.we would be traveling for about 7 hours to SFO and are planning to stay for three nights.

6. Re: Commuting from Airport to Union Square and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 14, 2014