We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Real SF tour or Dylan's tour

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kentucky
reviews: 7
The Real SF tour or Dylan's tour

My husband and I are planning our first trip to San Francisco the first week of April and would like to do a tour the first full day to get a feel of the area. Was wondering about the Real SF walking tour listed on trip advisor. We did a Real NYC walking tour and loved it although very tired at the end if the day. We like the idea of not being on a tour bus all day and being able to take great photos. I hear so many great things about Dylan's tour though. Any thoughts or suggestions? We also want to take a bus tour to the wine country through extranomical later in the week. Just not sure about two bus tours but if Dylan's is the best we will consider doing both extranomical and Dylan's . Thanks in advance!!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: The Real SF tour or Dylan's tour

Oh that is a tough one to advise people we don't know. It all depends on your travel style. You won't go wrong with either one or wish you had done the other one IMHO -- this is based on the feedback and reviews -- i personally have not taken either so take my advise FWIW.

One is a walk and transit tour while the other is a all bus tour. If you liked the Real NYC tour perhaps this would be great and as you say you like the idea of not being on a bus, well then you have your answer.

The things that Dylan's covers and not done by the Real SF tour can be done by yourself and since you are going Extranomical, perhaps you can do this walk/transit tour

Edited: 9:19 pm, February 10, 2013
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
2. Re: The Real SF tour or Dylan's tour

In a word: Dylan's

I'm not a fan of the "Real SF Tour." Do a search of the this forum and you may find my previous opinions.

Its concept is good: using public transit and one's own two feet. But I don't like the route (way too much unscenic bus time) and I think it's waaayyyy more expensive than it should be -- $65 for using MUNI ... I mean c'mon!

The description of the tour on the website is a bit "flim flam" IMO .. such as "to Fort Mason. There we take in the history and scope of the Marina District and Pacific Heights" ... which means you are looking at two neighborhoods from Fort Mason .. you are NOT experiencing either neighborbhood.

If you want to do a good walking tour check out Urban Treks. The area they cover is smaller ... because they are actually COVERING the area ... not just wafting you past it.

IMO "The Real SF Tour" ... isn't.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
3. Re: The Real SF tour or Dylan's tour

Sal -- How do you really feel about the Real SF tour ?

LOL

Well since i have not been on it, I cannot comment but I respect her opinion

Perhaps you can do the other one or look at www.sfcityguides.org for their walking tours and combine that with a bus tour. Dylan's has a shorter tour as well and you can see other parts of SF by Muni

San Francisco
Destination Expert
4. Re: The Real SF tour or Dylan's tour

I haven't been on it either. But as a local reading their website I figured out PDQ that it's neither a good tour nor a good deal.

OTOH, one of these days I am going to take Dylan's tour.

And I've been on quite a number of City Guides and have enjoyed them all.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 11
5. Re: The Real SF tour or Dylan's tour

There is absolutely no comparison.

Do Dylans Tour.

Kentucky
reviews: 7
6. Re: The Real SF tour or Dylan's tour

Thanks so much for your advice! You made my decision easy...... Definitely doing the Dylan's tour! Thanks again!

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 25
7. Re: The Real SF tour or Dylan's tour

I am heading to the States in June with my family and will be spending some time in San Francisco

When you have completed your trip would you mind letting me know how you went with Dylan's Tours?

I am undecided about Dylan's or Urban Safari

Kind regards

Debbie

San Francisco
Destination Expert
8. Re: The Real SF tour or Dylan's tour

Oh God. Not Urban Safari! Unless you want to ride around in an uber dumb looking with a zebra striped paint job and handed a pith helmet to wear. I cringe whenever I see that around town.

Also, the Urban Safari uses open vehicles and it's not always all that warm in SF so it may be a bit uncomfortable as well.

And while Urban Safari does go to Muir and Sausalito it's a separate tour (with an additional price) and is not part of the city tour.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 25
9. Re: The Real SF tour or Dylan's tour

Thank you - appreciate the feedback - any other advice on what to do and not to do would be welcomed

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
10. Re: The Real SF tour or Dylan's tour

Just search for reviews of both. That is better than just one or two reviews