We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Shopping - Preferably Outlet??

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gloucestershire, UK
reviews: 21
Best Shopping - Preferably Outlet??

We are coming on a road trip in May. Travelling from LA to Vegas then up to Yosemite, San Francisco back down PCH to LA.

Apart from the usual hiking and sightseeing etc. shopping is a must - is there any good recommendations for the best places to shop, preferably an outlet centre along this route or in any of the cities. We like good quality goods, designer, Nike etc. Clothing, Handbags and Shoes are a must - just like any female!!!

We can detour our route to reach good shops if necessary. I will tell hubby to start saving :)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 27
1. Re: Best Shopping - Preferably Outlet??

For an outlet mall, probably the easiest to get to will be in Gilroy on your way south towards Los Angeles. See http://m.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/Gilroy

There is lots of shopping around Union Square in San Francisco and Ross Dress for Less and Marshalls sometimes have bargains.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
2. Re: Best Shopping - Preferably Outlet??

There is an Outlet Mall in Gilroy south of San Jose on Highway 101. But if you're driving Highway 1 (it's only "PCH" in SoCal) then it won't be on the way.

I think there are large outlet malls in the LA and Vegas areas. Suggest you post on the LA and/or Vegas forums.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 13
3. Re: Best Shopping - Preferably Outlet??

You will find two good Outlet centres in Vegas .

Much better and easier to do there.

www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp…

www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp…

Dublin, California
reviews: 29
4. Re: Best Shopping - Preferably Outlet??

On your way from Yosemite to SF, taking the 580 west, you'll go past the Premium Outlet Shopping mall in Livermore. Take the El Charro/Fallon exit from 580 and go south. The mall is right next to the 580 freeway.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
5. Re: Best Shopping - Preferably Outlet??

I guess the OP has not bothered to READ the Top questions which includes this question.

Best fashion shopping? Where are the Outlet malls ?

Edited: 2:19 pm, February 10, 2013
Gloucestershire, UK
6. Re: Best Shopping - Preferably Outlet??

What is the point of having a forum when all anyone puts is -READ THE TOP QUESTIONS. I seem to see this on every question ANY ONE asks!!!

I am very sorry I didn't see this on the list. But thank you for all the people who were kind enough to reply to me :)

I have posed questions on lots of forums around the world and they are usually very helpful and friendly - it would appear that the 'experts' on here don't really want to actually help people!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
7. Re: Best Shopping - Preferably Outlet??

Dear Roesntim

Since you want to know the Best Outlet and you are not happy with the TA forum system which has TOP QUESTIONS, I think your question is best asked to TA who created the forums. What is the point of having Top Questions and keeping them updated (as we do) ? Are they not meant for new visitors ? Who else should be reading them ? Do frequent visitors and locals need those top questions ?

They are top questions for a reason. But we do see people (case in point ) who are either too lazy or cannot be bothered to do their own research or cannot quickly look through a few questions that are often asked and answered (with the best possible collection of answers we can collect in many cases)

Here are some tip for some people who seem to fall in that category and then seem to challenge when told to read the Top Questions

------------------------------------

So many posts request the impossible - that a bunch of people who have never met you magically intuit how much you have to spend and what will make you happy on vacation, generally planning out your route for three days or three weeks and helping you get discount hotel reservations.

So, what can you do to get great travel advice?

1. Do your homework

Trip Advisor and the web is filled with basic information like how far it is from San Francisco to Yosemite or Monterey or Napa , or how to get from SFO to Union Square or Fisherman's wharf (all major US airports have websites with transit info). The Top Questions on TA and Google are your best friend. Bing or Mapquest or Google maps can get you an understanding of the lay of the land (Is Napa north or South of SF or how far is Carmel from SF and is it south of Napa) Get your basic info first, then you can ask intelligent questions, and pick the brains of the many knowledgeable locals who frequent this site just hoping someone will ask about a romantic B&B in Napa or a baseball game in SF.

2. Do a Forum search AND read the first few pages of the Forum

At least five posters a day ask what to do in SF, which area to stay in and what is a good mid price hotel and if it is safe, whether to go to Monterey or Napa or Yosemite on their way around the world . The road is well travelled. Find those threads and get your answers in a jiffy. TA members will NOT recommend a dirty, unsafe hotel or location.

3. Be specific.

You might include: How much do you have to spend on a hotel per day? Back country hiker or bargain shopper? Museum or the outdoors? Mexican taco stand or French bistro? Two days in SF or two months in California as a student or with SO or kids and their ages (no we don't need their names) . Make sure your post mentions anything about you that would be helpful to know. An 18 year old Brit on his first trip abroad usually wants different advice from an Australian family with an infant or a couple in their 50s from Ohio. And yes we will say our piece if you want to spend 2 days in SF and 8 days in Vegas. Come on.

(Adapted from the Lonely Planet FAQ that seems better than the Sticky Post on TA )

Gloucestershire, UK
8. Re: Best Shopping - Preferably Outlet??

Many thanks Belomiser for explaining to me how TA works.

Dublin, California
reviews: 29
9. Re: Best Shopping - Preferably Outlet??

Wait, 4 people answered your question with specific recommendations, one person asked you to read the Top Questions first, and that translates to "the 'experts' on here don't really want to actually help people!"? Really?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
10. Re: Best Shopping - Preferably Outlet??

Not all forums have done as much with their Top Questions -- or worked so hard to keep them current -- as the SF forum (LA may be one) so I understand people who have used the TA forums in the past not to pay much attention to them.

But there has been (mostly courtesy of belomiser) a lot of work done to update and maintain the Top Questions. It's a bit like that old story of giving a man a fish vs. teaching him how to fish.

We're volunteers here who love our city and spend a lot of time helping people and answering questions. A little less attitude would be appropriate and appreciated.