We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in March compared to UK ....

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
united kingdom
reviews: 7
Weather in March compared to UK ....

Any brits out there help me on this we are bringing stuff that we can layer but was hoping not to have to bring a winter coat we are off to vegas after SF so dont want to carry to much bulky stuff ...

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
1. Re: Weather in March compared to UK ....

Depends on what you are doing between SF and LV. Fly? Car? Still can be lots of snow in Yosemite if you want to go there.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 13
2. Re: Weather in March compared to UK ....

Bring the coat. It's still winter here during that time....Las Vegas can be just as cool as SF at that time.

Check the weather in the two places just before your trip and plan accordingly.

Dr. Z

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
3. Re: Weather in March compared to UK ....

I am always perplexed by these what to wear questions. I understand there are variations in weather and I can get it when people are going to Alaska in Winter or Death Valley in Summer. Both are extreme weather places and most would not know what to wear

But for most places that are visited by tourists in our country, I think one can look at www.weather.com or bbc weather or www.weatherunderground.com and see forecasts and historic conditions and decide what to wear. After all one knows I presume what to wear in 55 deg weather or 45 deg weather at midnight or 70 degree weather.

So please look at the website and wear what you will in that weather. If you think you need a winter coat with the temps we have here then please bring one.

Everyone has a difference tolerance level and some may be happy with a sweater and a rain jacket Others think 55 is "freezing"

Edited: 6:11 pm, February 02, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
4. Re: Weather in March compared to UK ....

Wholeheartedly agree with belo. The only other thing that I would say is this....Las Vegas is in the desert....it commonly is very cold at night in the desert in winter.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 27
5. Re: Weather in March compared to UK ....

For San Francisco it could rain in March (which you're probably used to in England), but it might not. We really need the rain since January has been drier than usual and we get almost all our water during the winter months and almost none during the summer and early autumn. Without winter and spring rains (or snows in the mountains) it's bad news for the crops which California is known for.

As far as temperatures, San Francisco is likely to be cool but not cold like someplace where it snows. It sounds like you understand about the layering, which you'll need to add more layers near the water with the stiff breezes coming off of the cold water.

I haven't been to England in the Spring, but when we went to Edinburgh and London in late September and early October, it really wasn't so much different than what we would get here many times of the year except that it was more rainy than it usually is here. Edinburgh was also a little cooler than is usual here.

As others have mentioned, Las Vegas may be the cooler place when you're visiting since the proximity to the ocean tempers the climate in San Francisco to a year-round cool, but not usually really cold temperature. The ocean is in the 50s (Fahrenheit) so the winds off it are similarly chilly and pull your body heat right away from your body if you're not bundled a little on the shore or on the water. Someplace away from the water protected by hills or buildings from the wind will feel and be warmer.

Have a great trip, and check the highs and lows in the 10-day forecast just before leaving for better predictions of what to expect.

San Francisco Bay
6. Re: Weather in March compared to UK ....

Knowing Britain in the spring, I think you're safe not bringing the winter coat to California, and just layer a bit more in Las Vegas if you are outside.

Norfolk England
reviews: 78
7. Re: Weather in March compared to UK ....

Hi

I went in March one year to SF and Las Vegas, warmer by far in LV. If you intend to be by the wharf or visit Alcatraz, bring a warm jacket and a pack a mac would not go a miss. You should find LV very pleasant during sunlight but after dark the temps do drop, good chance a warm coat would be usefull if walking the strip.

Clive

united kingdom
8. Re: Weather in March compared to UK ....

Thanks everyone for there replies ....belomiser i will use the weather.com site to help me i think its save to say us Brits not into the whole centigrade and Fahrenheit thing thats why i wanted a brits opinion cliveasmith has told me what i needed to know ....sounds like dress for our summers great info holodan ....i live on a island just off the North Sea so think it might even be shorts in the Daytime in LV thanks guys x

united kingdom
9. Re: Weather in March compared to UK ....

that should read Irish sea rugby highlights on in the back ground and they mentioned George North ......

San Francisco Bay
10. Re: Weather in March compared to UK ....

Brit visitors' answers would be totally subject to the month they visited SF and LV in, as each month can vary a lot. At the least, bring a cozy jacket.