We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to San Francisco from San Diego

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NA
getting to San Francisco from San Diego

We would like to take a flight from San Diego to San Francisco. Southwest suggests the lowest fare + 2 checked bags free, while other companies require additional fees for bags. Is there any catch here? Is southwest considered a safe and good company?

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 45
1. Re: getting to San Francisco from San Diego

Yes, it is a major (although regional) airline in the US, subject to the same safety standards as all airlines flying within the US. Their boarding procedures are a little different... they don't give out advance seat assignments, but 24 hours prior to the flight, you can get a boarding group assignment. At the airport you line up in group order (A, B...) and within each group, by numerical order. Once you board in sequence, you can sit where-ever you like.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 13
2. Re: getting to San Francisco from San Diego

Southwest is great.

What happened to your original itinerary of starting in San Francisco and driving from San Diego to Las Vegas?

Dr. Z

3. Re: getting to San Francisco from San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:24 am, February 08, 2013
Edited: 11:24 am, February 08, 2013
Saint Charles...
reviews: 130
4. Re: getting to San Francisco from San Diego

Southwest has a great reputation as both a safe and good company. As I understand it they only fly two body-types of planes across the whole fleet. The body types are different versions of the 737. So, everyone gets trained for safety on just two aircraft bodies, rather than 8 or more as with most other airlines. SWA is a "good company" in that safety is their first concern, they compensate their employees well, community service is a company priority, and they treat customers with more care and respect in general than most other airlines. Their ability to land a flight, deplane, unload, clean, then board, load , and restock is a model of efficiency. Southwest is an outstanding airline - don't hesitate to purchase tickets with them. www.southwest.com

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
5. Re: getting to San Francisco from San Diego

Two things to be aware of with Southwest:

1) Their lowest fares ("Wanna Get Away") are only available when you book ahead. Their last minute fares are quite high. The advertise "no change fee" but you have to pay the difference in fare. That fare difference can be well over $150 even on a SF -> SD flight. If you plans are set it's no problem.

2) They do allow 2 bags free but there is a weight and size limit on those bags and over weight/size fee is (I believe ) $75. This is not usually an issue for domestic travellers but might be for foreign visitors who are here for a long period of time and have a lot of luggage.

I'm not knocking SW but I think these two issues are often glossed over while everyone waxes lyrical over how reasonably priced they are.

NA
6. Re: getting to San Francisco from San Diego

Thank you all for the replies.

Is 69$ a reasonable fare, or I should wait until it dropps?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
7. Re: getting to San Francisco from San Diego

it is a great fare. How much are you trying to save ?

NA
8. Re: getting to San Francisco from San Diego

As much as possible. How low can it get?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
9. Re: getting to San Francisco from San Diego

When are you travelling? I haven't flown down to SD since last summer but I don't think it's going to go down. As I indicated, SW rewards those who book ahead.

Edited: 3:36 pm, January 30, 2013
Carthage, MS
reviews: 2
10. Re: getting to San Francisco from San Diego

I'm trying the same trip. Where did you find a $69 fare???