We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baldwin hotel

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
edinburgh
reviews: 1
Baldwin hotel

Hi all,

Just a quick question with regards to the Baldwin hotel. I have booked a 5 night stay at this hotel and upon reading reviews today I see that a few people have had their credit cards cloned. I'm a bit anxious about giving my cc details to the hotel directly. So my question is am I within my right to refuse to give them my details at check in? They take you're card incase of any damages

Thanks chris

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 38
1. Re: Baldwin hotel

"Reservations" page on the hotel website: "Government issued photo ID and valid credit card or $100 cash deposit is required upon check-in"

edinburgh
2. Re: Baldwin hotel

Thanks for that never thought to check!

Baltimore
3. Re: Baldwin hotel

Hmmh, scary. I just checked tripadvisor reviews for Baldwin, first searching bad reviews. Six separate visitors, all international travelers, posted credit cloning complaints between Oct 26 and Dec 21 2012. According to the latest of the several tripadvisor responses by the Baldwin Office Manager, these incidences occurred in August and September 2012. He claims they’ve addressed the problem. It’s absurd to think all credit card cloning victims posted complaints on tripadvisor – although I looked on yelp and didn’t find any.

I think credit card cloning has to be an inside job, i.e., an employee has to cooperate cloning the actual card while in his possession. Apparently smart chip credit cards are not at risk. I suppose there could be an explanation if only international guests were targeted.

Normally, I’d have thought of this as more a high traffic restaurant risk. How many different persons could have been Baldwin Hotel employees with access to guest credit cards during those two months?

edinburgh
4. Re: Baldwin hotel

Yeah was very shocked to see that too but if I can leave a cash deposit then that's what I'll do

Regina, SK
reviews: 9
5. Re: Baldwin hotel

We're from Canada and we were planning on staying here in October, we made a reservation, until I read all of the people who had their credit cards stolen. I cancelled my reservation PRONTO. I'd rather spend extra dollars staying somewhere else than have my credit card number ripped off.

Regina, SK
reviews: 9
6. Re: Baldwin hotel

hotrod121 - may I suggest the Mosser? We have stayed there before. Some rooms have shared bath but the majority don't. We stayed there last in May, prices were cheaper. They're more expensive in October which is when we're going. Mosser has an excellent location, safe area - and your credit cards don't get stolen!

7. Re: Baldwin hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 31, 2014